WTD: Speakers up to £5k

Finally, some sense in this thread.

ATCs FFS… :poop:

5 Likes

Ian, try some Audio Notes. :smiley:

1 Like

Get the Ucellos. Doooo it.

6 Likes

This. And then get @edd9000 to build you a Lab sub or two.

1 Like

Not 100% sure how he’s going to make the Ucellos fit let alone lab subs. Good plan though.

Re live those wonderful college/university days with some Wharfedale Diamonds.

I’ve got some Sonus Faber Elispa’s that need a new home. Same look and finish as this internet image.

3 Likes

Some of the meh-est speakers I’ve ever heard, but all the purty.

Did you get to listen to them in your room?

No, I’ve never had them here.

:open_mouth: have a word with yourself man.

On a side note I offer a horn disposal service for very reasonable fees.

1 Like

I’ve bought a pair of Heco Direkt speakers in white. They arrived yesterday but are still in their boxes!

24 Likes

Great choice but WTF!
Next thing you’ll be rocking in a chair staring at the wall…

3 Likes

So the consensus is that these Heco Directs are about as good as anything you can get up to £5k? I had previously picked up on their fanboy status in these parts ;), but wasn’t sure they would be recommended for someone willing to spend up to £5k.

What faff are horns once you have them set?
Edit, unless you are @coco :joy:

To use a Steve McQueen Le Mans quote…
"Horns are life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting,”

First time I heard a pair demo’d in my home I didn’t know the price and guessed at £5K.

All of the character is in the looks (admittedly divisive), beyond that if you want your speakers to “flavour” your music, they don’t do it, nor are they the fake “neutral” that a lot of pro monitors do, which is usually just overly-explicit in certain frequencies. The base-porting gives you clean bass in most room situations, and the very slight “waveguide” of the treble surround makes sure neither baffle nor nearby walls get involved in the sound - I’ve heard the 2-ways sound good in absurdly small rooms. They’re just good speakers for not too much money.

3 Likes

I thought the ones I have were broken, took a little while to come to life, 24 hours or so
I’ve kept them for whenever we move.
Also don’t drop the screws down the port holes when fitting the feet like some doughnut did at cranage

6 Likes

I don’t know about that. I’ve heard a few pairs at shows and bakeoffs and have never been disappointed by them. I managed to get a pair at a great price, so if they don’t suit, I won’t lose anything.

6 Likes

The looks really turn me off. In a larger room the looks wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

1 Like