Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

Not to worry.

When I can be arsed, I’ll post the recipe on here.

4 Likes

Is it the Rick Stein one?

Hell no. I wouldn’t divulge the authentic one.

It will be the Esther Bluementhol one.

3 Likes

Big punch to the soon to be donated nadgers of crap motorcyclists.
It doesn’t take an enormous amount of brain to work out that if you’re leaning right over the white line on a right hand bend then:
a) you’ve not got many options should there be anything coming in the other direction
b) if anything hits you it’ll be your head that’s taken off - as happened here not long ago.
I was taught many years ago on a Police bikesafe course to maximise your view - so go into a right-hander from the left hand of the lane and don’t turn hard until the apex of the bend moves, and the opposite for a left-hander. Perhaps the latest £15000 Troy-Tempest-or-whatever-his-name-is replica doesn’t come with that sort of useful info?

1 Like

The cashpoints in Stansted allow you to take out Euros commission-free. Great. Put my card in, and the rate is 0.85. Think about it for a couple of seconds, and realise that it would cost me £350 to take out €300. Fuck all of that!

When “commission-free” means a hidden 25% exchange fee, you can have a cockpunch.

7 Likes

They are just preparing you for brexit.

1 Like

Yep. Was same at channel tunnel. Cunts.

The banks also rip you off for exchanging currencies. less than 25% though but 5% - What happened? it used to be closer to 2%

I find you normally get a better rate when you get to where you are going, plus the further you are from theairport the better. I often just take sterling.

Anyone who leaves money changing until they get to the airport can also have one…:wink:

4 Likes

Yep, basic error there.

I found the best exchange rate was on my debit card in country. Never bothered taking cash.

3 Likes

Yep thats a good point - Halifax do a clarity credit card for use abroad .

1 Like

If you do a lot of overseas travel another approach is something like Curve which could be a good option. https://www.imaginecurve.com/features

Allows you to use multiple cards via a app and be charged market rates plus 1%

I have recently signed up but haven’t received the card yet. Off to Japan later in the year so will get a lot of use then all being well.

1 Like

I have one of these

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card

we use one of these prepaid cards https://www.caxtonfx.com/ as backup

I’ve got a post office credit card, like the others mentioned there are no fees for using it abroad. I also like the fact that their call centre is UK based and the staff have a brain.

That’s very interesting.

There was a thread on pinkfish yesterday about buying cartridges in Japan with a users guide to Yobadashi (sic) camera - you get discount if you pay on Visa and show your passport. Worth watching and reading the thread.

1 Like

Thats a good tip. I picked up a Shelter 500 once from Yobadashi a few trips ago for a good price.

Will take a look at PFM thread.

I think a pair of McIntosh monoblocs will fit in my luggage.