Yorkshire Dales roast-off Sep 14th to 16th 2018 - LAST YEAR

Baking cakes and scones tonight ready for the weekend.

Carefully selecting records to bring and maybe even one or two CD’s.

Looking forward to the first Yorkshire bake off weeekend

2 Likes

Just remember to talk slowly, so all the softy southerners can understand you :smiley:

1 Like

Saturday (fortunately) is currently looking like having the lowest chance of rain - below 20% during daylight hours according to ‘guess the weather’ on the BBC.

VB

1 Like

You fancy getting out for a breath of fresh air?

What is it with all this healthy nonsense at a bake off?

1 Like

Ay? I hear a northern accent and switch off myself…

1 Like

I’m bringing coffee. Lots of it.

3 Likes

i never get any fresh air :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Step on the golden brick

I’ll bring the boots and really ought to - with one thing and another I’ve missed a walk this week. Then again there looks like being cloud outside and food and beer and choons inside …

The problem in the immediate vicinity is that the bunkhouse is tight between the river Ribble on the west and the B6479 and railway line on the east. There’s no really handy foot crossing of any of these. But if the blood alcohol level should fall low enough to allow driving then it might be possible to make our way to a local landmark. The grittily named ‘Dead Man’s Cave’, ‘Shake Hole’ and ‘Smearsett Scar’ (I think you can get a cream for that) aren’t far away.

VB

You only have to walk a short way N or S on the road to gain the hills toward Malham or the flatter river path.
Or drive a bit for Pen-y-Ghent etc.

DIY amp finished and working (phew!), next to collect meat and rest of stuff, then make goulash and do final racking of beer… Oh, and pack the car

2 Likes

I’ll bring boots and we can play it by ear.

1 Like

Malham Cove looks like it’s about 5-6 miles due east. I’ve never seen it.

VB

What about Tea (Yorkshire):+1::grinning:

Supermarkets have that… the coffee will be from
https://200degs.com

It’s a spectacular sight especially it you go via Janet’s Foss and Gordale Scar that way you can end up on the top of the cove and an easier though slippery descent if wet …that’s my experience of it

Yes, there’s a nice circuit with an easy but potentially damp scramble up. Definitely worthwhile if you haven’t been there. Lots of limestone pavement on top. Better to drive over if you want to do that.

Anyone want to purchase a Samsung Galaxy 7edge boxed etc never had a SIM card inside,immaculate condition still got sellophane on front screen …will throw in a Samsung Bluetooth speaker as well £180. Will bring to Roast off if anyone is interested…

According to Google Earth the walk from the bunkhouse to Malham village, mostly via the Pennine Bridleway, and stopping to gawp at the Cove, is 8 miles or so. But there is 370m of ascent, more than 200m of which is in a single climb above Langcliffe (maybe the clue is in the name). So it wouldn’t be trivial. Especially if you’re used to the Thames Valley (flatter than a very flat thing).

VB

Decaf for home tasting purposes.

4 Likes