AAAC 5th June 2018 - Fink - Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet

Fink - Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet

Live album recorded during the Perfect Darkness tour in 2011-12. Stunning sound quality and awesome songs in one 79 minute package.

1 Like

Wow this is amazing! How the hell have I missed this?! Nice one, thanks! Will be grabbing several albums.

1 Like

Video quality is terrible, but this is imho FINK at his very finest, playing with Manu Katche and Pino Paladino:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s absolutely unreal! Wow.

An excellent album Ian and already in my collectionā€¦

ā€¦but thanks for reminding me to give it a spin!

Great album.
Not easy to get a copy on vinyl unfortunately but it is a great listen.

I would very much like to hear this on LP. The TIDAL stream is very bright and quite compressed. It was much, much louder than the LPs I played before and after which didnā€™t help. It seems like a nicely recorded LP despite this. The guitars are beautifully played and recorded. I am less convinced by the vocals, which are a bit too much for my tastes. Having said this, I knew nothing about Fink and enjoyed listening to this. Iā€™ll try to listen to some of the other albums but suspect I wonā€™t end up buying much at this stage.

Meh.

Beautifully recorded and mastered but I doubt Iā€™d miss listening to it again.

1 Like

Here I found something more interesting;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-filter-Unipart-GFE-5418-Ford-Focus-1-6D-also-fits-many-variants/173336677580?hash=item285babcccc:g:ck4AAOSwvMFa6f7t

Very much my thoughts.:+1:

I have heard various tracks at bake-offs where it seems to have supplanted Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live as the ā€˜look how good it soundsā€™ choice.

Donā€™t get me wrong I quite liked it but it all became a bit predictable and his voice is not my cup of tea (well heā€™s not a pretty girl is hešŸ˜˜).

Overall 7/10

Fink not.

:confused:

1 Like

I listened to this a few years ago and not again until now.

As has been said, amazingly well played and recorded but his voice is too forward / loud and seems to have only one lilt.

That is a real shame, as there are some great tracks (e.g. Blueberry Pancakes) musically, and the Album as a whole is fairly musically diverse, interesting even.

Itā€™s just that his voice seems to make everything sound the same, a bit like Nick Drake does.

Pleased I listened to it again - 5 1/2 / 10 for me.

Too much singing in an annoying way, not enough funk.
C- could do better.

All very ā€œaudiophileā€ except itā€™s got a bloke who canā€™t sing instead of a female.

Boring. Repetitive. Dull. Dross.

Itā€™s good to be back :+1:

Surely you are used to that with prog :rofl:

2 Likes

We know a song about that!

1 Like

This oneā€¦

1 Like

I quite enjoyed this - first time Iā€™ve ever heard him and must admit quite impressive for a live album. Not something I would buy on vinyl but will investigate him further on Spotify. :+1:

Quick listen. And Iā€™m thinking Jeff Buckley meets John Martyn with a modern, trendy vibe. Some nice guitar sounds. Overall, it didnā€™t grab me. A bit soulless. But Iā€™ve only listened once so canā€™t guarantee Iā€™m right. :thinking: