Build your own 747

Finished off today. Playing & sounding nice & recognisably an M77 (of sorts) surprisingly.
It managed the Part :- Fur Alina test extremely well.

Front view

PCB

Power supply

Pot & Switch

All the wiring up of inputs etc was rather tedious & I was working with some fairly easy RS screened cable. I can’t imagine what a ballache it must be to wire up the real thing with unwieldy, fragile & difficult to solder Audionote silver interconnect cable,

20 Likes

Not finished until the Nob sound badge is emblazoned (back lit LED?) on the front of this tremendous same, same but different M747

1 Like

Looks great, ready for commissions?:grinning:

Yes it does need a Nobsound badge. Otherwise people would readily confuse the two.

3 Likes

1 Like

This is all well and good… but it’s no Vanessa. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Clearly you are talking about the photo of the bloke with a todger in his ear…

:innocent:

Ha !! I didnt even see that pic !

Or the MWS77.

3 Likes

Virtually identical. Perhaps the build quality of the 747 might just give it the edge though.

When can I borrow it? :smiley:

I have to admit I’ve been watching ‘make your own capacitors’ videos on Youtube & pricing up 99.99% silver foil.

2 Likes

Do you reckon it’s a worthwhile build for cost vs sound?

Absolutely. I reckon that this can be done nicely for <£350 & it would comfortably beat some phono/line combinations costing 10x that. The only caveat I’d have (and it applies to the real M77 too) is the high gain of the line stage so you’d need to be mindful of the input sensitivity of your power amp if you want a decent range of level adjustment when using digital sources.

2 Likes

I think I might take a punt on one of those.
Could do with a little project.

2 Likes

I’m going to be seriously feckin peeved if it sounds better than the Preda TBSP next Saturday!

…it won’t, of course :thinking:

I will too, coz then your phono stage requirements will change! :laughing:

1 Like

It won’t but it sounds charming in its own way. But if we want to try it, can your power amps be run single ended? (ie unbalanced inputs)

no,no, they can’t
Yes :wink:

Sound charming? The Sex Pistols?

Yes, yes, yes, it’s all well and good saying it is charming but do you have any measurements to show its adequacy?