Diet and Fitness

Same here. Mine are so weak, really need to focus on them. I only did two sets of good mornings, with a light weight. Still, it feels good knowing I’ve worked them :slight_smile:

I made the mistake of doing deadlifts followed by lunges with dumbells on Monday evening - still incredibly sore this morning. To your point of should you train when still sore, I was supposed to do a full body workout yesterday but had to skip planned squats and just do foam rolling and body weight squats only just to get some mobility running through my legs - excruciating :confounded:

Did get through Dumbell rows, bench press, military press, curls and close hand press ups though.

Just getting up and down from my desk at work has been an effort haha. Hoping to do some rowing and pressing tonight and that should be fun as I always feel bent-over rows hitting my hamstrings also.

Sounds like you’re ‘sitting back’ into your stance when you do BOR? Also if you mentally focus on keeping your core tight and your knees ‘soft’ that will take the strain off your hams.

Maybe, I don’t feel like I am but that means nothing really. I keep my core tight but knees definitely don’t feel ‘soft’ so will try that. In fact I probably tense my hamstrings in order to ‘lock’ my position, never thought about it before but will take more notice tonight.

If you tense your hamstring/ lock your knees, then in conjunction with shifting your hips backward to compensate for the weight you have further forward in the shape of a barbell, this will have the effect of loading your hamstrings.

This must be what I’m doing but never give it a thought at the time, only the next day when I can feel my hamstrings (not to the extent I am now mind). Will be going out soon and will try to relax them.

It might sound odd but just before you do your rows, perform a quad stretch first and really stretch them out - that will also prime your hams. Works on the anatagonistic muscle so stretch your lats before pressing and vice versa.

Google ‘Kelly Starrett couch stretch’ for a terrific if painful quad stretch.

1 Like

Did some presses and rows. Was putting it off, really couldn’t be arsed as I don’t like upper body work much, but made myself and now feel much better. Again just going light as easing into it.

Did the stretching and focused on soft knees and it worked, so should be good for lower body at the weekend.

I felt completely wiped out yesterday (I actually crashed out before 9.30 last night!). Didn’t manage to do my pushups, just the commute by bike to and from work. Plan to do the push ups tonight.

Walked in this morning, faster than last week (although avg HR a bit higher, averaged 133 and hit 150 on hills)- averaged over 4.8mph. From reading I might be at the speed where running would be more efficient :stuck_out_tongue:

4.8 mph sounds quick.

Are the fitbit heart rates reliable ? Last night’s walk I hit 180bpm but this morning when I thought I was pushing harder didn’t get above 120 ??

Yeah, i think by all accounts it’s a fast pace. I’ve read that there’s a crossover point, that varies person to person, at which it becomes more efficient to run rather than walk. I suspect I’m walking at that sort of speed, and thinking about introducing running into my routine at some point, but don’t want to rush it given that I’ve not done much weight-bearing exercise for a while.

I think generally optical wrist HR monitors are less reliable at higher heart rates.

Perhaps you had a mini heart attack? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Walking is underrated :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Indeed. I fancy this https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greenwich+Meridian+Trail this year (not all in one go, obviously).

VB

that looks interesting. How many miles would you do a day for something like that? 25-30 miles a day over a fortnight with a few days off?

The walk’s original organisers http://www.greenwichmeridiantrail.co.uk/ have split it into four roughly 70-mile chunks and the plan is to do each one of those over a ‘long’ (3-4 day) weekend with the weekends spaced a few weeks apart. The first and last days will therefore have to include the travel to and from home (probably not the stop and start in Boston, though, where I have family). So that does indeed come to 20-ish miles per day. A lot of the route is dead flat, so that should be easy enough. The only significant problems may be finding overnight accommodation within reach of the path (e.g. in the fens) and seeing if I can get across the Humber without detouring via the bridge (I might see if I can arrange something with the yacht club).

VB

Did more squats and good mornings yesterday. Did two extra sets on squats and one extra set on good mornings, just baby steps right now. I’ve probably been guilty of wanting to progress too fast in the past even though I knew that real progress is slow.

Really need to work on my abs but can never be arsed. Will start doing some leg raises next time out.

If your core is strong enough for squats then direct ab work isn’t strictly necessary. I tend to do crunches before squats to prime my core and cue me to squeeze them and brace on decent.

I know what you’re saying but I didn’t feel them as well as when I was doing hanging raises between sets, so maybe it’s about priming them as you say. I am weak right now though so although I’m doing squats it’s nothing too hard.

I have sciatic nerve pain with a suspected herniated disc so just building things up slowly.

Interesting…That’s true for bodyweight squats?