Diet and Fitness

I had been planning to go for a longer ride but had to take kids to a birthday party mid-morning so did the 2 hour endurance session on the turbo. My feeling is that it should be complimentary to short sharp thrashes on the singlespeed commuting to work since it’s a steady higher cadence for a prolonged period of time. Dunno if that’s true or not though :stuck_out_tongue:

Tried my 10 sec spaced push ups before the party… Nup. Had to reduce to 20 secs for the last few.

Slipped a bit on diet quality mid-week due to travelling for work, and again yesterday due to not planning for healthy lunch. Don’t think I’ve lost any weight this week…

Not strictly. You need a strong core for squats as the weight goes up. With body weight it’s a good habit to get into to use a start up sequence which includes bracing your core for each rep.

You’re making progress though so keep going :thumbsup:

Would you try again for 10 secs next time, or go back to 20?

I felt like my form wasn’t as good at 10 secs (felt like I sagged a bit on way up)

Either go back to 20 and really focus on strict form and slowing that tempo, and if you can go up to 12-15 reps,

Or go to 15 secs and again concentrate on form - keep your body braced and straight.

…and one day recovery, try again Tuesday?

Depends, are your sore the day after, and where do you feel it most?

There are quite a few mobility exercises that you can do to relieve pressure on that nerve - have you been given any to do?

Haven’t been to a physio for a over a year but they gave me some light exercises to do with bands, which didn’t do anything. Once I did good mornings to strengthen my lower back (against their advice) it felt much better.

I’m just aware of it again so don’t want it to get to where it was as it was very painful at times. I want to build a foundation of muscle (and carry on lifting) that can see me through more years pain free.

I should look more into the mobility side of things and will do some stuff from the Kelly Starrett link you posted a while back (though that’s not to do with sciatic pain so I could look into that also).

No, not really been sore. Probably feel it most in chest, but nothing approaching discomfort even

In which case you could go again tomorrow and see how you get on. Form and tension over chasing reps.

@murrayjohnson - hamstring exercises

https://www.t-nation.com/training/12-hamstrings-exercises-for-hardasses

Ankle mobility for squatting without your heel lifting (long video but good)

Sign me up

I was thinking, I’ve not really warmed up before doing the push ups, other than when I did them after being on the bike. I guess it’s better to warm up, even just by jogging on the spot for a bit?

I got my wife a pull up bar for her birthday (I know…romantic bastard). She tried it out yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised, I could manage 3 pull ups in a row- I was amazed I could even manage 1!

I don’t think you necessarily need to be warmed up but definitely not cold. Saying that a habit I’ve fallen out of is 5’s - one set straight out of bed, one set before a cup of tea/ breakfast, another set just before getting in the shower, another just out of the shower and before getting dressed.

Great, I love pull ups. So are you doing pull ups as in palms out, or chin ups which are palms facing you? Form I use is chest to bar, flex your arms and back and then lower down slowly - all the way to arms straight, and then next rep. Don’t get into the habit of swinging legs or catching the pull up with your arms on the way down and so not going full range.

Now you can do pull ups you can superset these with your press ups and you have the perfect bodyweight push/ pull combo. You can use your on the minute rest reduction on pull ups too.

Chin ups! I didn’t realise they were two different things :stuck_out_tongue:

5 sets of push ups? That sounds like a good habit to get into once I can do 10 continuously

You mean do a set of pull ups in between a set of push ups?

5 sets of 5 push ups. That way you have done 150 push ups per week.

Yes you do one set of press ups - head straight to pull ups, then have your timed rest before the next superset.

You can tune pull ups to hit your back or arms differentially. I tend to keep my core stiff and hinge at the hip and bring my feet together and slightly in front of my body. This also stops any swing creeping in.

I am so much slower on the bike than I was early last year :frowning:

I’m hoping that it can be explained by the history of how I trained (or not) last year, and there’s nothing underlying (asthma related for e.g.)

I was the fastest/strongest I’ve ever been in March last year.

Then…I got a bit carried away and by April was feeling pretty burned out. Backed off for a few weeks but never really felt like I got over it. Then, hit by a van early May which threw me a wee bit. Got the singlespeed to keep me riding while the geared bike was out of action and with hindsight was still pretty fit. I struggled a bit on the club weekend in Yorkshire still did a decent pace.

After middle of July I only did slower rides and avoided high intensity, then I think when I switched to the smaller gear on the singlespeed I probably wasn’t getting as much exercise, since I was probably only working half the time or less. Then last two months before christmas didn’t make it out for any longer rides, and just did my commute to and from work and also put on ~5 kg.

So, was probably subsisting on residual fitness from May to July and then slowly detraining to various degrees from then. Hopefully…

Here is a fitness fad happening in Southampton. Any knowledge Chris?

I’ve always thought that cardio conditioning has a ‘shelf life’ of about 2-4 weeks - ie you can build a decent amount of it up in that period as well as lose it in that period if inactive.

Strength on the other hand tends to last longer - lets say 3 months for arguments sake - yes your 1 rep max can go down slightly in 2 weeks if inactive, but the rest of your strength which is built into muscle fibre diameter and neuro firing adaptation, goes down much more slowly.