Diet and Fitness

I like Bud Jeffires and although he’s still big he lost a lot of weight swinging kettlebells:

1 Like

I like trap-bar deadlifts (as they’re easier than a deadlift) but at the minute the space I’ve created in the garage to squat isn’t really enough to do these. Will need to get my finger out and make it a better space.

1 Like

The video posted quite a few posts above is as good a guide as you’re going to get, and I’ve posted some pointers to @NAM above which you may find helpful too.

My advice is to start with swings and mix them in with core exercises and something like press ups or pull ups and with 3 exercises in a circuit you’ve got a full body workout,

Start with a 10-12 kg KB to get the technique and some volume and then you can look at the one handed clean presses etc, heavier KBs.

I should have mentioned earlier - get a cast iron KB (non competition version so you can get two hands on the handle/ horns). Bodymax do a good range which I like - they are iron coated in vinyl with the handle exposed and have a flat bottom and sides. They sell them on Amazon and elsewhere.

This is mine -

2 Likes

Here’s mine bought in the last week - A similar style to CD but lighter
Adli had a decent range - v cheap the 6Kg blue one was £9
By the way -That hifi in the background - brilliant.

2 Likes

You might find it easier to learn the technique with the heavier one, a bit of tension helps set up the hip hinge and create some momentum as you thrust your hips forward (snigger).

Yep -The 12Kg does feel right for swingy stuff. I was impressed watching a guy who did a turkish lift with a girl.
Thats the guy I want to be - It really is.

I like the pin cushion bell …for when it all gets too much

Do you think the push up and cycling progress is enough to suggest I’m not going catabolic with my current diet?

Has anyone tried or have any knowledge/thoughts on this diet?

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/who-should-do-the-blood-sugar-diet/

Just eat a ‘clean’ (no processed foods) and balanced diet, don’t snack, cut out sugary foods. Manage your calories to match your activity. Be more active.

That’s it.

You’re not losing weight so you’re not catabolic! You’re also seeing strength gains too, so it’s all good.

I think you could easily incorporate the kind of KB, press up, core circuit alongside your cycling, you’re a way off overtraining yet.

Follow my fad diet, soon to be released. The soup and stir fry diet. It’s fucking awesome

(but it basically amounts to exactly what @crimsondonkey said about eating well and exercising)

I am actually losing weight. Like we said earlier, it just comes off in spurts. Weighed as ~68kg this morning so that’s 3-4kg off since I started.

I agree though, that I can safely introduce more.

My heart is catching up with my legs! Comfortably kept a recovery zone heart rate (112) for the 30 mins I need to take to get to work after school drop off- a month or so ago I was averaging 140/150 to do that.

Since I had a good, hard ride last night (fnar fnar) I’m going to leave the bike, walk home tonight and walk in tomorrow morning. Then, another hard ride tomorrow night, day off on Sat and Sunday I’ll do a lighter endurance session on the turbo rather than going out and flogging myself for 60 miles as planned. I’ll do that next Sunday after another week’s training. Reckon I’ll soon be back to being able to go out with the main club ride :thumbsup:

It seems as though the single speed, which I would ideally use during the winter to save the good bike from the salt, will be fine for building up base fitness at least. Last night I averaged >17mph and >90rpm cadence at a relatively high average heart rate so once the average heart rate starts to come down for that route (which is relatively flat) I can start taking a longer flat route and then a hillier route home (which should coincide with the days getting longer.

1 Like

Losing weight + getting stronger = bi-winning!

Plus, my clothes all fit again :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess the push ups may be getting easier due to less weight as much as increased strength though?

Last year I was eating a very similar diet and my cycling and general strength was improving- the mistake I made was getting cocky and ramping up the volume/intensity pretty abruptly

Maybe just a little, but I bet if you had DB’s and pressed them on a bench your strength would have also gone up.

Its likely to be as a result of a combination of - neural adaptation; increased fibre recruitment; fibre growth, which is all good.

I had a first go at the press ups - squats routine today. Managed to finish it without resting but it took 4 mins 50. Some time to come off there I think.

4 Likes

Well done - its gets pretty hard towards the end doesn’t it? :sweat_smile:

Yes the last 5 press ups were severe!