Diet and Fitness

This is the technique I try to copy. It took a few sessions to sort out the bi-lateral breathing but it’s second nature now.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

1 Like

Ok, looking at that I think my feet would probably come out of the water too much and my arms would just hit the water with a crash, instead of the hand gliding in. Will have to think about that next time though the only time in probably over ten years I went swimming was last year in the sea, as it was a nice day.

Opening another can of worms, I probably do breast-stroke more than crawl. When crawling though it is mostly about learning to bring your arms out of the water cleanly and knifing them back in. Splash = wasted power/ energy.

People I work with at one of my current clients are trying to coerce me into running the Chesterfield half marathon with them in October :scream:

My first reaction is no fucking way - I am all fast twitch fibres and have no natural endurance whatsoever. I’ve got trophies for sprinting but that was indoors 60m - once round a 400m is like a long distance event to me.

However I am intrigued as to whether I could train up to this. Although I think my running legs have long since left me, there is 6 months to go which is regarded as twice as long as needed to get to half marathon level.

Problem is it will likely involve running three times a week :cold_sweat:

Anyone taken on this before and can encourage me to quit or go for it?!

If you were going to do it I’d suggest first following the couch to 5k programme, building up slowly from walk/running…but I’m probably over cautious as far as running. If 3 months is generally regarded as enough time to get to half marathon level I’d spend 3 months slowly building base conditioning. 3 months sounds a bit short from no running at all…

1 Like

Turns out I can do tricep push ups now. Don’t know if I’ve ever been able to do those before

1 Like

Thought I was going to manage 4 chin ups this morning, but no, stuck on 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably need to add some structure to progress rather than just doing them every so often

1 Like

Frequency :thumbsup:

Go for it Wayne - I was a crap runner at school but through triathlons, then 10Ks then a marathon I ended up doing lots of running. Knees a bit fucked now so I prefer the cycling. In terms of distance running it’s mainly about science and meticulous planning which I think would suit you - follow the plan and you’ll be fine. I found the marathon training interesting and quite enjoyed it although on the day I struggled as I’d had an injury which had set the training plan back.

2 Likes

I ended up training yesterday instead of Friday. Today I felt like squatting again, so I did (not as heavy though). On the second set I aggravated a tendon or something from my shoulder to my elbow. After squats I did a set of chins and it didn’t feel brilliant but was ok. Then I tried some press-ups…it took all I had just to stop from collapsing onto the floor. Just a weakness in that arm. The tendon is tender in a line from elbow to shoulder :frowning:

Getting a lot of peer pressure at client site to do it. At the moment I’m thinking through what it would take - I cannot stress enough that I’m overwhelmingly fast twitch and that this would be a hell of a challenge.

You’re right though, I’m sure it can be programmed, with the main goal of not getting injured.

Anyone recommend a running/ training for x distance app?

Ouch. Hows it feeling now? I’d play on the safe side and try not to stress it for 2-3 days and see if its still sore.

Things like tendonitis can be a bugger to heal and get rid of so some caution now might pay dividends.

Go for it, maybe I’ll be stronger than you by the end :slight_smile:

It feels ok but I can feel it’s tender if I press it. Just going to leave it a few days before trying a press-up again to see if I can do it.

Hungry!

Go to bed!

I felt a bit stalled on push ups for a week or so, but progressing again- up to 12,12,11

Something I noticed at the weekend. After I did my push ups I really struggled to do a single chin up- suggests I’m using back a bit for the push ups, or is it a core thing?

I didn’t realise that even callipers were so prone to error for measuring body fat??

I’m not even going to go down the body fat route

Based on this I’m probably between 15 and 20%, probably closer to 20%

If I’m 20% then this calculates I will be ~59kg at 10% body fat- if i don’t build any more muscle i guess
https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/ideal-body-fat-weight

I managed the distance and speed of the main club ride on Sunday, so pleased with that. Actually the upper end of the normal speed, and I was on my own so with drafting should be more than fine. My heart rate was a little bit higher than I would have expected from how it felt (i.e. it felt easier than heart rate would suggest) but that may have been because I felt a bit of a cold coming on. Going out with a cold was a bit of a gamble, but I was planning to take it easy this week and it doesn’t seem to have amounted to much so I think the gamble paid off.

With the amount of cycling I’ve been doing I’ve not been terribly strict with eating and have still been losing. Since I’m taking it easy this week I’m trying to be more restrained and it was tough last night :stuck_out_tongue:

Progress all round though

2 Likes

4 chin ups!