Diet and Fitness

Apart from push ups and lunchtime walk, I am still totally failing to get into the habit of doing any exercise other than cycling…

Today’s eating- not added up calories accurately for a while now. Probably have 300 calories more than this at least most days

I don’t trust the net calories- although I cycled to and from work my heart rate was <60% maximum the entire time

…and this is why! I read about this study ages ago but couldn’t find it again…

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)01577-8

Right…my heart rate is out of whack so I think it would be unwise to push on with the (cycling) workouts I’d planned this week. I was due a rest week next week so I think I’ll bring it forward.

Had a more sensible portion of rice last night and used less oil. Didn’t feel any less full and probably saved a couple of hundred calories

Woke up feeling sore but RHR at 46 bpm.

1 Like

Mine’s just all over the place. Given that it’s been pretty steady up until now and I know that I pushed myself at the weekend I’m going to take heed and back off until it gets back to normal. Last year I ignored this and pushed through it which turned out to be a bad idea (unsurprisingly). Err on the side of caution. Even if I misjudge and lose a bit of fitness I’ll still be fine for the club ride.

I read yesterday that RHR can actually decrease with functional overreaching

1 Like

Had a debacle with the original Fitbit Charge HR where the outer rubber material delaminates from the main body. This has happened twice within the warranty period so John Lewis have kindly swapped it out for a Charge 2 HR. Nice.

Weighed myself last night and I am now bang on 12st (76.2kg). Started on 81kg.

The first 4kg came off really quickly and the last one has taken an age. Still targeting 75kg for now.

3 Likes

Yup :rage:

We’re on the same journey but you’ll pleased to know that you’re ahead of me. I started smack on 13st in mid Feb, and last week weighed in at 12 st 4lbs, aiming for 12st initially and then probably 11st 4lbs.

First few kilos are water, then it’s muscle and fat and now it’s probably mostly fat which does take some budging.

I wonder if I can get up to that weight at the same rate! I must remember to weigh myself actually, haven’t done that since I started.

You could feed yourself fatter up to that level at the same rate - its slightly more difficult to do it through lean muscle mass. :grimacing:

Typically weight training 4 times per week and eating 500-1000 cals over base cals to maintain your current weight should do it at a reasonable pace, but still expect your bf% to go up more than you would like.

1 Like

Well who knows what my bf % is, that chisel thing went back as I just couldn’t charge it. I spent the money on the cable pulldown :slight_smile:

Use photos. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between 20% up to 25%, and from 20% down to 15% for example.

1 Like

I’ve totally gone backwards with push ups…

Why???

Have you kept doing them at a reasonable frequency? Have you lost weight recently?

No…not lost weight. I managed 3x12 last week, but only did them on one day. This week, struggling to get past 6 on the 3rd set.

Maybe general fatigue from cycling contributing?

Strength gains usually last the longest (vs say cardio fitness which can slip in 2-3 weeks). Most likely diet, sleep, recovery and background fatigue.

Write it off and focus on doing better next time.

My wife has urged me to use photos and measurements to track my progress but I’ve never done it consistently. I have a photo from when I was ~63/64kg last year that looks to be about 13%BF. I am probably about ~19-20% at the moment I would say. For me, photo’s are more accurate than looking in the mirror :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to get down to 13% (or whatever it was) but maintaining as much as possible muscle mass over the next couple of months.

Regarding putting on lean muscle @Pan I would say I’ve added pretty much the same muscle mass from just push ups as I did when I did weights- even on my biceps ??

It’s normal to grow antagonistic muscles at the same time otherwise if you just did push ups, squats, deadlifts etc you’d end up a funny shape :slightly_smiling_face:. Your body builds muscle in systems.