eBay stuff (Part 1)

Tempted.

Shame you can’t try before you buy!

Yes that’s always the case, and as you don’t know my tastes, it’s best not to rely on that.
The reason I didn’t buy them was because it would have been a side step only for me from my then SF grand piano home speakers.
However, they do have house sound and I only bought the Parsifals because I had heard them several times in different rooms with different electronics and was impressed. And when a pair came up on the 2nd hand market, I thought it would have been churlish to not buy them.

These aren’t just a speaker upgrade though mate, you’ll definitely end up needing a different power amp.

3 Likes

Two mono block Cyrus won’t power them?
Seriously?

Have you thought about that Air Tight deck on ebay? That looks the business.

Power them? Yes
Do them justice? Not a fucking chance!

1 Like

Maybe need educating.
I appreciate most people aren’t fans but the power figures seem large enough to manage anything?

I am in no hurry. I will upgrade my speakers and amplification in the next couple of months. Then I’ll think about decks. I want to hear a Systemdek and ideally a Motus similar to @Wayward’s before Xmas ideally. :santa:

1 Like

This is all too sensible if you ask me.

Depends what you mean by manage? Apart from the ‘all amps sound the same’ clique, most would expect those speakers to sound very different driven by a pair of Cyrus monos and a class A amplifier. Ymmv but I wouldn’t want mine or those speakers driven by Cyrus. Technically they’d drive them but the sound? Meh.

1 Like

Aha, a totally wonk free deck, if ever there was one :wink:

Try to hear the Raven and the Brinkman as well.

It’s not a matter of watts it’s a matter of quality, speakers like that will show up Cyrus power amps. I am sure yours are better, but I heard a new Cyrus class D integrated with a DAC in it (about £900) and it was shockingly bad into SF speakers.

At 5500 for the pair new they ought to be better!
(Mono x300 signatures)
I did hear them alongside the stereo 200 class d option and they were night and day better.

This. I’ve had my Leben at 32w driving the Rienzi’s and all it gave away was the tightness of the very deepest bass notes.

What speakers like those will show clearly is the limitations and house sound of Cyrus amps. Fine if you’ve heard what lots of different amp designs sound like and prefer the Cyrus, but it’s no coincidence that with all the box swappers (past and present) and different tastes on this forum, that very few have Cyrus kit.

I’m not saying that theyre inherently bad, but speakers of that level deserve a step in amplifier too to hear them at their best.

1 Like

When I think about it, I realise that the differences in amps must be tiny compared to the differences in speakers. Of course they are, the measured differences are tiny in comparison.

Unfortunately the lie that this is was exposed most obviously to me at Munich. Harman had a Mark Levinson JBL system - they were showing off their amazing JBL speakers, and naturally used the most expensive amplifiers that they distributed.

The sound was simply all Mark Levinson - it had that taut, pneumatic bass and a lack of expanse to the soundstage that all ML kit has. It sounded bloody awful. I was so sad.

Normally I would say that it doesn’t really matter what amps you get, as long as they can drive the speakers OK. But that’s not true - some kit just sucks, to my ears, and you can always hear it.

Of course, this is just my view based on my own preferences. If you like the Cyrus sound then that’s great, but I would suggest that you don’t give much attention to the views on speakers of those that don’t like your amps - their taste is simply different from yours.

And or their rooms, other components in their system.

Parsifal’s are stunning speakers in my experience. Very transparent to what’s put in front of them and how they’re arranged.

A dealer that no longer exists near me ran them for a long time and I heard them implemented in several ways. The first time they were driven by Soulution amps and a Luxman cdp across his room. I was completely blown away, utterly natural with bass that kicked you in the stomach while still sounding right.

Was so impressed I arranged to go back a couple of weeks later, they’d been moved to fire straight down the room and a super high end Reimyo trasport/dac added. Sounded very good but missed the sense of rightness of the previous setup. Passed by another time and the same equipment set up in the same way sounded pretty dreadful, veiled and toppy, really quiet terrible. He was trying a new cable loom a friend had brought back from the US. Must have been some sort of electrical mismatch because swapping the complete loom out for whatever he’d been using before restored the system to greatness albeit never quiet as good as the first time I’d heard it.

System matching is a bitch… bet those Rienzi would sound good in the right system and room.

Foo

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Vertex_AQ_leading_edge_platform_and_coupler_cones_PL_1&p=accessorie&prod_id=48352&offset=

That is a bargain :heart_eyes:. I need one to put under this:
http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/vertex-aq-pico-six-way-component-grounding-block---ex-demo-10883-p.asp

Can’t be grounded or decoupled enough in my view…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: