General election 8th June

It fascinates me that the LibDems took such a spanking in 2015 on tuition Fees, but even more so that they are still utterly castigated for it three years later.

It’s like their core support came down in the last shower and find it impossible to reconcile that being a politician frequently means compromising your principles in the day-to-day rough and tumble of government.

If they had been working from their base of around 40 MPs I think they’d have pushed toward 60 this time around.

A metric fuckton is my uneducated guess. It’s one of two reasons Labour boxed themselves in on Article 50:

1. Jeremy Corbyn can’t say he supports Remain with a straight face.
  2. They bloody well know that loads of their core support in the north of England voted Brexit.

This.

1 Like

In 2015 the most common complaint was there was little difference between Lab and Con with both parties wanting to occupy the same middle ground of politics. Now there is plenty of distance between Lab and Con the complaint is there is no centre-left party to vote for (or consider voting for) - at least that would be my complaint.

To fix UK politics more choice and PR is needed, something which neither Con or Lab want. We stitched up? I reckon so.

1 Like

So why do so many of these same “liberal” or “progressive” voters not use the same logic when considering their own vote in the forthcoming UK election

Haha, comparing Corbyn to Macron. He is funny guy. Me laugh.

No despite the best efforts of Dimbleby, Somerset Webb and Wallace trying to Project Tory propaganda the audience gave them a proper grubbing :grinning:Best QT for ages

Fuck all this middle ground, hard left, far right, soft brexit, hard brexit,celebrity status bullshit . It’s a simple choice between public services and civil liberties or being fucked with a hot poker. As usual the public will choose the latter, we are a nation of gimps. :poop:

5 Likes

Well you’re already lining up the BBC to take the blame, suckered by all the awful Tory propaganda I suppose. Because the electorate is so stupid and you are not.

If Corbyn fucks the labour party into the ground will you own it?

2 Likes

Effectively calling the electorate idiots (they probably are) didn’t work out too well for Red Ed either.

I didn’t call us stupid, I called us gimps, labour are fucking themselves, it can’t all be blamed on Corbyn

yes it can be as he has picked a team mostly in his own image and that is exactly why I left the party and the union.

1 Like

He has had to pick from a bunch of self promoting tosh, I don’t see who else he could choose, labour is full of them

1 Like

indeed

Having thought about it I probably will vote labour again, even though I despise Corbyn I agree with most of his manifesto and even he would be better than another 5 years of the tories.

4 Likes

Eminently sensible :+1:

So has the Labour manifesto been costed, or has that been left to Diane Abbot?

I would argue that the government ‘isn’t as coherent as it needs to be’ but that matters not a jot given the complete incoherence of the opposition.

2 Likes

I heard £19bn black hole being mentioned today, that could however be bollox.

@htm_1968

As an economist, what do you think of the nationalisation plans? Assuming the nationalised industries are run properly, wouldn’t they provide useful income to the exchequer ( after the debt accrued to buy them back in the first place has been paid off, obvs).

The costing of manifestos is tosh since neither main party typically has any intention of honouring their promises. Vote Tory if you are keen on hard Brexit, small Government, and large defence expenditure. Vote Labour for a slightly different flavour. I will only believe the Tory manifesto numbers if they are written in eight foot high letters by Boris Johnson (the Tory equivalent of Diane Abbot) on the side of a (properly accounted for under the election expenditure laws) coach.