Gooey Eyed Reminiscing about Old Planes

4 Likes

You’ve never been?! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’m going to the de Havilland museum soon, fancy coming along?

it’s great there, we haven’t been for a few years.

Shuttleworth Collection http://www.shuttleworth.org/ also worth visiting if you want to venture to Bedfordshire. Some of the photos I posted earlier were taken at a private air show, put on for the company Louise works for.

Nope!

Seeing one of these fly, was one of my most memorable experiences…

5 Likes

I lived with these, for three years. We weren’t allowed to photograph them, but the locals could.
They always seemed to know when they were taking off, and landing.
When they landed, they coasted in, from miles out. They didn’t make a sound.
When they took off, we all knew what it was. It was out of sight vertically, before it crossed the boundaries of the airfield.

2 Likes

My dad had a trip in a KC-135 tanker out of Mildenhall . The USAF booked him in for a later flight so it wouldn’t be such an early start, being kind. So he was on the flight refuelling AWACS, taking pics down the back.Sounds good, but if they hadn’t thought about the time, and booked him on the earlier flight, he would have been watching them refuelling Blackbirds and having a similar view to above…

3 Likes

What year was that? My wife could have been involved with it.

Probably late 80s or so I reckon Gregg.

A bit before she would have been there.

I saw a Blackbird at the Alconbury air show in the mid 80’s iirc, was a superb show, but unfortunately one of the Vampires crashed off the back of the field somewhere…

However they carried on as though nothing happened, and aside from watching Starfighters on full reheat burst along over the runway, the highlight was a Balckbird flying over with one engine throttled back, the other on full power, and it on full rudders as it cruised straight over the airfield…
Bloody wonderful! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Love this story.

Stu will probably have a similar one about his Astra.

5 Likes

What’s the point of that manoeuvre?

Speed I would have thought. Also, being able to feel an engine on full burn.

You know… kind of make it fun and exhilarating. Like an air show.

I meant specifically one engine on afterburn using the rudder to correct.

Speed.

Why not use both? I’ve seen plenty of planes with both engines lit at airshows

If both were on afterburn I doubt you would see much of that particular plane. Or hear anything for a month.

2 Likes