Gooey Eyed Reminiscing about Old Planes

Hard as nails plane

5 Likes

I attended many airshows, both here, and in California, probably around 30.
Saw some absolutely spectacular flying, mostly on arrival days, and unhindered by crowds, they were even more daring.
Never had an incident at any of the shows I attended, but of course, we know of the ones where things went wrong.
Standing next to very high level pilots, and hearing them say WOW!, just lets you know, how special, some of what we were seeing, was.
I think one of the most amazing things I saw, was the Dutch helicopter stunt flying team.

1 Like

We’re they high?

De Haviland Vampire.

2 Likes

Grocer fail!

Bristol Boxkite replica - 1910 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2 Likes

My Dad used to fly those out of RAF Honiley back in the early 50’s.

Here (to the left) leaning on one.

He did also do a stint at Tangmere where your picture was taken. Tangmere (near Chichester) is well worth a visit.

8 Likes

Regrettably, no, would love to - I even have a contact there among the curation volunteers who owes me a favour! My sole abortive attempt to visit an air museum in the 'states - a minor one at that - coincided with a nobody-could-be-arsed-to-open-up day it transpired!

There are two. One on the Mall in DC itself and the other out by Dulles airport. Both worth visiting and free admission iirc.

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/museum-dc

@Mrs_Maureen_OPinion Duxford??
Spend the day there, then come over for a listen, and some food and drink.

1 Like

Have they still got Concorde there?

It still shows up on the list of aircraft. Haven’t been there for awhile.
Just spoke to them Yes, it is.
They are open 11:00- 15:00 during the winter.

It must be 25+ years since I was there. I suspect a LOT will have changed

Be rude not to! Cheers Gregg! :+1:

There’s a Hanger full of impressive American hardware there too. Well -, it was full after they’d parked the B52 in there, and it’s impressive how many other aircraft they managed to fit in underneath it.

1 Like

They also have a Blackbird. The last time I went the Lancaster was open. It took a 40 min queue, but was well worth it. The Comet, Avro York and Handley Page Hermes were open also. If you go more than once a year, it’s worth taking out a year’s membership.

1 Like

I need to go, it’s only 45 mins for me…

1 Like

My dad was a Squadron Leader in the RAF but I can’t recall him flying any planes.
I also liked the DH110 and Supermarine Swift.

3 Likes

Sounds like a job for a Meat-Up :+1:

2 Likes

Spitfire Supermarine MkVb - 1942 by uh_simon, on Flickr

2 Likes