Holidays

No.

Doesn’t she like brownie then?

2 Likes

Never been to Hull,don’t think i’ve been further north on that coast line past Great Yarmouth

You haven’t lived. A brief blast in the Astra up the A171 would bring you to Redcar in no time.

One for the bucket list.

Does ToC have a bucket list?

1 Like

I think Yarmouth is a terminus. Past there is the North Sea. The so-called East Coast Main Line doesn’t go anywhere near the coast until it gets into Northumberland.

VB

I forgot,i went to Cromer in the 80s.

Have driven from Loch Lomond to Settle via Carlisle, a fort on Hadrians Wall, The Ribblehead viaduct - 256 miles in about 8 hours including stops - B roads all the way

Some stunning driving

3 Likes

Can’t we sell that wall to Trump?

2 Likes

Anyone got any recommendations for a pub lunch in or around Lancaster tomorrow?

No.

We seem to have stumbled upon the Settle Folk Gathering…which when there were 5 or 6 musicians sounded quite good, now there are about 25 musicians stuffed into a room with about 10 people as an audience, I fully understand what the word cacophony means!

Time to retire with a pint of Yorkshire Blonde Beauty of - beer on room service, we like this pub…

Bit further south, but not a massive amount, and my once a year treat, Northcote Manor:

Tis excellent.

1 Like

Inverness tonight, middle of nowhere tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks - good suggestion bit fully booked

Didn’t the first series of The Trip feature some rather interesting places to eat/stay up there?

L’Enclume, Cumbria

Holbeck Ghyll, Windermere

Hipping Hall, Yorkshire Downs

The Angel at Hetton, Yorkshire dales

A whole Loch pretty much to ourselves, views ain’t too shabby either.

Loch Garry

1 Like

From Tomdoun (nice Inn) I think that the old “Road to the Isles” can still be followed as far as Loch Loyne, which is a reservoir created in the late 50s. You can see the road emerging from the other side and slanting up the hillside over to the Cluanie Inn - that bit is a nice bike ride (but watch out for big potholes), I wouldn’t take a car there.

Have stayed at L’enclume,Inn at Whitewell and Holbeck Ghyll

Also very nice are The Drunken Duck and The Cottage in the Woods.

Leeming House and Sharrow Bay on Ullswater used to be good but that was years ago.

At L’Enclume now - staying for two nights as a birthday treat. Second time we’ve been.

We found lunch in Morecombe in the end, we sat and ate fresh Morecombe bay shrimps with the owner of one of the last two traditional Morecambe shrimp boats. We searched out his fishmonger shop and bought some potted shrimps and other cold stuff from him.

When we said we said we were going to eat them there and then, he offered to warm them up and supply bread and butter…we just sat and chatted to him for an hour in the front of his fish shop

4 Likes

Crook O’Lune between Settle and Lancaster

7 Likes