Holidays

@BobC if you are staying by Loch Ness for a few days see if you can find Steve Feltham in his hut to talk to. http://www.doresonlochness.co.uk/steve-feltham.html

He is as mad as a box of frogs, but makes nice Nessie souvenirs if that is you bag

1 Like

Oops, too late. Itā€™s just down the road from where we are.

14 days, 6 hours and 12 minutes until Iā€™m off.

Still, not making a big thing of it.

2 Likes

Have you packed your poncho and galoshes? :rolling_eyes:

Iā€™ll poncho you right in your galoshes you holiday-happy fuck.

Offence intended. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the sentiment :+1: Itā€™s 21 sleeps until we go :grin:

Grr.

I hate all you lucky cheapskate cunts who can take their holidays after the kids go back to schoolā€¦:angry:

3 Likes

When in Rome and all that

2 Likes

Today interesting drive to Wast Water

Then an even more crazy drive to Windermere via the Hard Knott Pass and the Wrynose Pass - which made Louise scream out twice once on a 30% climb and then on a 25% descent into a blind bend.

What a drive that was, really in the middle of no where on top of the world

Windermere has changed a lot since my childhood - seems to have become chav central

3 Likes

It does look spectacular on streetview, must try & visit one day.

When you do, take the road at the end of Wrynose into the hanging valley and down into Langdale.

Simonā€™s picture is of the Screes at Wasdale. The fells behind are Illgill Head and Whin Rigg. We climbed them last year.

Weā€™ve driven over Wrynose and Hardknott many times and each time is brilliant. Once it started snowing halfway through and then the fog dropped. That was scary. The Three Shires pub at the Langdale end is a welcome sight.

Our caravan is a Skelwith Fold near Ambleside and Hawkshead and we try to spend 10 days a month up there.

3 Likes

We did a road trip up there last year - properly amazing.

Driven Hard Knott and Wrynose many times. Incredible. Also walked it (once) not a feat I fancy trying again.

Climbed all of the Wasdale fells when I was younger, some easy, most quite hard. Great Gable via the Great Napes traverse and Scafell via the corridor route being the highlights. We used to camp at Wasdale Head. The pub there was great at the time, havenā€™t been for years though.

2 Likes

We first climbed all the Lake District mountains (Book - John and Anne Nuttall - THE MOUNTAINS OF ENGLAND AND WALES). Then we did all the Wainwrights. Now just climbing for fun and to exercise the dogs.

Climbed Scafell up Lords Rake once. i think the best in Wasdale is Yewbarrow, not the highest but a great scramble up and down as part of the Wasdale horseshoe.

Lords Rake ascent is spectacular. I heard (donā€™t know if itā€™s true) that it may be impassable now, due to some large stone falls?

No, itā€™s still passable as far as i know, but so many people have done it that all the scree has dropped down and the rocks are terribly smooth. My son took his boots off and climbed it barefoot!

The worse bit is climbing the loose scree to get to the entrance.

Yes, erosion is a big problem. I often wonder how different some of the routes I did years ago look now.

@mickbald and @pmac - wow. I used to walk in my younger days, but never climbed (our most satisfying one the Thames from source to estuary).
These days my knees and ankles are not up to it, road trips with short walks are the best I can do.