I will soon be 44: should I own a pressure washer?

Pm me you mobile number and I’ll WhatsApp you the 30sec video I’ve just recorded

Edit, I’ve got your number video on the way.

1 Like

If it’s how to do the hose thing let me have it too?
I can’t quite work out what you mean. My hose is a twisty mess and it drives me barking mad.

In use it just curls up and is next to useless as it’s always a third of the length it should be due to circles.

Same technique used for life saving rings, you throw out into the water.
If you have to take it back in, to throw again, this insures it will not snag, when you throw it back out.

when you get over 50, you get over the PW envy, and take your precious to a Tesco* carpark to be washed

*= your supermarket/DIY store of choice

Yeah right…and watch while guys who don’t give a damn fuck your paintwork with gritty wash mitts and drying cloths that’ve been used hundreds of times. :roll_eyes:

I don’t care - I rent my car, another 18 months to go. I can give it back from Sept, might go EV then

1 Like

Can you bring it to Lopwell for the ‘Toning Championship’?

Deluxe prizes for the strong.

2 Likes

Same as coiling a rope, half a turn on each loop along the lay of the rope and the coil will lie flat.

The ‘lay’ on the hose will be the way it wants to go.

Same principle with guitar signal cables

Ahh.
Thought it involved winding it back on to the reel holder as well.
That’s just a manual storage, ignoring the built in holder.

Used for theatre lighting cables as well. I was taught it decades ago when I worked at The Playhouse in Oxford.

Yep. Twist and turn.

Of course when you next come to use it if you’re not going to unwind it off something then you’ll need to take all those turns out again. We used to slip a pump-action screwdriver through the cable coil and one person would hold that while another would unwind it.

If there’s just one of you then it might be better to coil it in a figure-of-eight. That way each half-turn is in the opposite sense (viewed from one side they go … clockwise-anticlockwise-clockwise-anticlockwise …) and you don’t need to put the twists in as you coil or take them out as you uncoil.

Hopefully there will be a cordless one soon :+1:

4 Likes

Patch?

Using the video’s technique gave me 30 miles of unkinked cables for years of playing in bands. Today it means all of my home cables are neat and kink free. And no, they don’t need unwinding, they just fall right.

So what happens to all the turns you’ve put in then ? If the cable’s not very long you can just shake them out (watch the plug on the loose end rotate a few times)… If it’s really not very long then the thing will untwist almost without you noticing. But it will have to untwist :wink:.

With a cable or a rope the twist is already there due to the method of construction.
There is no twist when stored.
You could tell someones sailing experience a mile off when you watched them hoist a sail, cleat it off and watch what they did with the fall.

There is an accepted way of doing it so that if you have to do a sail change, at night, in the dark,you unhook the coil from the cleat (or winch), drop it on the deck and it feeds through all the blocks straight with no twists or snarl ups. Everyone does it the same. It has been working for centuries.

I am certain we are talking at cross-purposes i.e. we are both right, but considering subtly different problems. Sadly my dinner’s going to be out in less than 15 mins so I’m going to have to leave the details.

Imagine a coil spring. This is exactly what the man in the guitar cable video creates by simultaneously looping and twisting his cable (he is rightly insistent that the twists are crucial). Now take the ends of the coil spring and start to extend it, but keep a firm grip on the ends - don’t let them rotate. The spring will become a helix. Extend it further. As you do, the diameter of the helical twists will become a progressively smaller and smaller fraction of the overall length. But they will never disappear. If you just try to pull a coil spring straight then you will be left with the twists in it. You either have to unspool it or you have to untwist it (one twist per loop).

Maybe a simpler proof is just to run the guitar cable video backwards. He starts with a coil. He finishes with a straight cable. He has made a lot of untwists.

The twist is light. It enables the cable to form a required shape but never forced. Forcing a twist causes kinks.
The idea is to reduce kinking not create them.

Call it a “turn” rather than a twist for accuracy.