Load Your Head

Ha! I knew he had to be one of MWS’s many alter-egos!

To be fair, my crafty semi knew before I did . . .

2 Likes

A company I worked with (for some years, I knew them very well) had one guy who didn’t really do much but was very well paid. They used to call him “suitcase man”, as he used to fly out to the Middle East with a suitcase full of cash. He wasn’t quite as busy when I was there, but I suspect he was on that handsome salary for life.

I once met a well qualified fellow in Bangalore

card

2 Likes

Bloody hell! Is all that studying actually possible?

They’re mostly MAs. My MA cost me ten quid although to be fair I only got it because I’d spent 3 years successfully studying for a BA.

VB

Assuming he wasn’t taking them concurrently then yes in about 68 years. So also assuming he started early, say 16, he’d have been ready for the world of work & a glittering career by the age of 84.

All this would be way funnier if there weren’t people practicing things like medicine with equivalent “qualifications”.

I have a (junior) colleague who’s all about the qualifications. I did point out that when I was a hiring manager I used to ignore all the paper qualifications and just looked at experience.

Some people do love collecting them, though.

4 Likes

Fixt

It’s true - I spent years studying for my woodwork O level. :laughing:

1 Like

In extra curriculum education I managed a WC, VD and scar. It never did me any good though, employers thought I was just a ticket collector.

I think you’ll find that the auxiliary verb ’do’ can be added to an affirmative sentence for emphasis. “I do like a cold beer when I get in from work”.
:wink:

There were quite a few letters and award whores working for me in the land of corporate consultancy.

One in particular didn’t seem to understand that insisting on putting Dr on his emails and reports was ill judged when working with healthcare clients which are awash with ‘proper doctors’ :roll_eyes:.

I lost patience with the silly self entitled status driven cunt in the end and suggested he would be more at home in academia. He refused to accept this right up to the point I fired him for not actually delivering anything useful. To which he initially complained ‘but I’m one of the most highly qualified people in the company, you can’t sack me’ :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I was under the impression (from several medical Drs) that the Phd Dr is the “proper” one, and the title was awarded to those with medical training simply to allow them to differentiate themselves from the quacks and charlatans, back in the Victorian era.

and you are correct. But I am not going to shout about it.

It does seem far easier to get letters after your name these days than it was when I got mine in the late 70s

2 Likes

Friend of mine’s father is a molecular biology prof with more letters after his name than in his name. He got rather bored and when he bought a new car, started adding E63 AMG into the middle of his letters on official correspondance.

3 Likes

I’ve got more letters after my name than I have in it. But my name is not very long.

Some of the letters are MA DPhil. I share these with a friend called Phil. Guess how he signs his e-mails.

Having done the Lyke Wake Walk I am, apparently, allowed to put ‘Dirger’ after my name. I don’t though.

I remember the author of a How To Get On In Life book once saying that it helps to have a short simple name. He reckoned he’d written the whole book in less time than it takes Boutros Boutros-Ghali to hire a car.

VB

3 Likes

Fellow Dirger here. Never use it. I do occasionally wear my coffin though :+1:

1 Like

Me too.

VB

1 Like