Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Bet she’s well chuffed having to find space for that lot.:scream:
A Sonos would sit on a shelf or cabinet and still probably sound better.

Nice,don’t think i’ve ever had a pair of B&O speakers from the 80s where the foam surrounds haven’t rotted.

Well, I think it’s a great present. I would be well chuffed with it.

4 Likes

And me.

Looks fantastic to me.

But I’m 50.

2 Likes

Old men like old shit, news, news, news.

I think that the retro looks would give it considerably more acceptability, it looks really cool to me.

Yep, far more trendy and hipster.

Will be an object of desire for her friends.

Vinyl is in right now, of course it’s cool :slight_smile:

'Tis lovely, I’ve always fancied a nice beosystem as an extra system, but the Unobtanium nature of the carts puts me off.

Fortunately she has a big flat with a large open plan living area. I showed her the styling and she loved it, and it doesn’t take that much space as maybe it looks in the photo.

Not shiny or new,but tried out some small tannoys the other night .

Only tried them before with a cheapo integrated sometime ago,so was good to hear them with the monos.

http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r7-overview You should have got her this😬

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/302197947944?_mwBanner=1

One ebay swoop later, I will be going to pick this up at the weekend for use in the mancave system.

2 Likes

£175? Goodness only knows how much that cost originally. Nice catch :thumbsup:

Congrats, is a nice piece, have it as well in my + 3.0 add on to watch movies and music dvds.

First listen to Lowthers yesterday.
After hearing various reports on them,i found them to sound extremely good.

The bass is certainly there,of course not in a chest busting way.

These must of been mind blowing in there day compared to what was on offer to most of the population.

In terms of tone and timbre,they are right up there imo.

1 Like

Good to see you yesterday mate.

The running in of the Lowthers is a painfully long thing. According to Dianne at Lowther it’s a Minimum of 500hrs for the varnish to loosen out on a certain part which I can’t remember - she had me at 500hrs! 600hrs in and yes there is some bass which is handy as the TP1 has 12+ feet of back loaded LF horn. I’ve been playing about with it some more this morning. Paired with the Airtight 300bs and sub (I’m never going to get this thing to integrate ideally) they are sounding fuller and probably could sound more so if I could get them right back in the corners. Unlike a lot of the other Lowther designs the TPI is front and back loaded, which to my ears sounds better than the other Lowther designs that have passed through the office over the years. Lowthers are a pisser what they do well is beautiful, the fullness and clarity of bass however is lacking very apparently on some tracks…

1 Like

Nothing says “buy me second hand” more than that!

Lowthers need lots of back loading to have a chance - most cabinets are simply too small. I did enjoy my monsters. That said, I think that their downsides, especially the frequency response in the upper mid to lower treble, can start to grate.

Has anyone used a Decca in a Lowther system yet?

1 Like

Stick a 50 Ohm power resistor in the speaker cable. The resistor reduces damping and you’ll get more bass.

You’ll lose a bit of sensitivity, but Lowthers can spare that.