Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Not sure where the transport bolts are

Will have a look on Lenco heaven

They are the red ones

1 Like

Have taken motor out so will give it a service with new grease and oil in next couple of days

You can “fine tune” the motor once its been serviced (decent guides on lenco heaven) by adjusting the spring loaded nose screw. If you have an acoustic guitar place the motor on the guitar body and have it running directly connected to the mains, its easy to hear when the motor is running at its quietest. (Ok to substitute guitar for kitchen worktop) Takes a few attempts as the lock ring adds to extra tension to the screw so you have to balance them.

Id suggest removing the motor transit bolts completely.

Has ever been serviced before?

Flat wheels cause a thumping noise, what you’re discribing sounds like an earth issus. Bear in mind thoses decks we never earthed. So a good idead to earth the main chassis.

2 Likes

Thanks was going to follow this guide http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=2087.0

You can feel the vibration quite a lot on the left of the plinth with platter off,and through the tone arm,has been stored since the late 70s so no surprise that there is an issue

Ok, well, if you can feel vibration give everything a good going over inc the bearing as there probably no oil in it now. The bearing’s thrust plate will be worn you can get replacements for about £5 from LH
Should be worth it though, they can sound surprisingly ok all things considerd.

3 Likes

Stu,

Is this the same arm that you had issues with before?

No arm is fine now guy stuck a better cable on it which sorted hum

Following a few days of home demoing I bought Ian’s Meitner DAC. I had heard it previously a few times in a number of systems with differing results. Fortunately is sounds pretty epic in my system and tbh I would ever be able to better it without spending crazy money (a Rockna maybe?) It has more input options than my the Accustic Arts that it is replacing which was surprisingly close on the performance front when comparing the two. The Meitner’s superior bass resolution swung it though. Fekin bright LEDs though :angry:

8 Likes

Is that a streamer on the bottom shelf?

Yep its a Lumin D1

Just looked at the website and it looks interesting.

The OCD in me would have to rearrange those so that the widest is at the top getting narrower going down per shelf.

Just given motor new grease and oil,and bearing clean and oil. If my history is to follow,both should now sound considerably worse

9 Likes

I’ve got a spare motor somewhere

If this doesn’t work could you dig it out please.

Sadly motor is still far to noisy one fitted :slightly_frowning_face:

Is the motor centred correctly?
The motor’s frame can be moved and adjusted to make sure the spindle is dead center as it rotates. There are 4 screws which hold the back of the chassis to the front, you can loosen these slightly and realign.
I had loads of these motors at one point, once tweaked they all worked fine.

Also, are you 100% sure you have the correct motor suspension springs in the right locations?

Yes the springs are right but didn’t know about centering

look at it before adjusting, it’s a PITA to get right once you start messing. If it is of centre that could be your problem.

I used paper shims around the spindle to centre it and then tightened the chassis.

1 Like