Tales from the Ginnel

Been busy with other project but inbetween made this for a fella in the office. Simple box in Oak, Bog Oak, Mahogany and Walnut.

21 Likes

I want one (please).

Spent the past month flattening off a peice of Elm for the top of the hifi unit. it’s taken a while, first flattening it, then waiting for it to bow, then flattening, then waiting for it to…well you get the picture. four mortices made with the ends tapered in, this will allow me to split the tenons with wedges to give me a self lock joint on assembly.

Another couple of weeks should see this achieve an acceptable final finish and shaping.

6 Likes

Lovely work Bob as always. Any chance you could share some of your wood suppliers?

Yea, once I’ve gone up and bought about another half ton of Elm from him :slight_smile:

I’ll drop a list up tonight, a couple of them are down your way.

1 Like

Bloody #ell, forgot about the wood places, will sort that out.

Top now finished, fitted a three dovetailed ties across the split to stabilise and the application of water to the convex side of the bow in the plank to reset the fibres and cure the bow. Lots of finishing and finally a few coats of spirit sealer and carnuba polish.

20 Likes

Lovely, Bob.

Will you fill the split with anything, or just leave it as is?

The large part of the split i will just leave. The small part to the right of the inner tie i have filled with a resin and sawdust paste, sanded smooth. that part of the split is more a surface check, not going all the way through, so there is a good chance it wont grow.

If anything is going to move it will do so in the next week or so, it’s now in a centrally heated room so i can see what happens to it.

Yes, I would imagine the central heating will dry it further and only time will tell. Nice piece of work though, very nice.

All in place, to has remained stable.

22 Likes

So want to make one of these

16 Likes

wow - I found making closed dovetail joints or secret mitred ones hard enough, but that is mind boggling

Messing around with violin finish, more on that later. The big Oak plinth is making progress, resin casts complete and started shaping the edges.

5 Likes

bog

Looks cracking and different, somehow Bob. Guess that means you are going to have to describe Violin finish.

spull chicker agian :slight_smile:

:smile:

Really looking forward to seeing how this one comes together Bob

big bog

A test price of rippled sycamore using oil paints to apply a translucent colour. This peice hasn’t been cut back and polished, but it has proven superior to dyes.
Learnt a bit about Rembrandt along the way too,

5 Likes