Terminal Investments

Mortgage till I 65 at which time we’ll downsize and get the fuck out of dodge.
Only another 18 years to go.

I’m 45 with about 10 years left on the Mortgage. Tempted to by to let, to get some more equity behind us as the pension pot is all but worthless. Can’t see myself retiring until my mid 70’s, in the unlikely event i live that long. Natch.

I think it depends what we mean by working beyond the state retirement age. Holding down a demading full time job with significant travel isnt something I would consider as a viable option. But working part time doing something enjoyable seems like a good idea to me (even if the money isnt needed).

4 Likes

This. Or volunteering. I plan on increasing the amount of time I spend helping mature students with the maths they need to get into Uni once I’ve retired.

2 Likes

Wow, a long thread in the three days that I’ve been away walking - us retired folk have to keep fit somehow! I got out at 60, five years ago, and have no regrets - especially when I hear of the latest managerial shenanigans at my ex place of work. Dropping to a pension income required adjustments but getting state pension at 65 made things easier. Paid off the last of the mortgage with tax free lump sum, and both daughters are now self sufficient (though on low incomes so grateful for top-ups). Beginning to think about IHT and passing down what I can afford, in case of early demise (dad went at 72 and his father at 69).

1 Like

As a terminal investment Mr. MWS would like to have his left testicle cryogenically frozen. Apparently it has always been the mightier of the two. Some people get hung up about uneven bollock syndrome, sadly not in the case of Mr. MWS who rather likes the Darwinism of the big brute dominating his sacks kingdom. As an idiotic long shot he relishes the notion that one day number one ball will ride again. He believes this to be a vision for womankind.

Ah that explains what does on in the UBS building in the City perfectly…

:thinking:

Why has the emoji thingo changed again???

ha , 5 years ago I had nearly paid off my mortgage now I have 7 of the things !!! I sweat every time mark carney utters a word !!!

1 Like

My brother, retired for a decade now has just converted a big tranche of underperforming investments into antique clocks… :thinking:

He’s leaving his house and most everything else to my kids, but said I would get one of the clocks and tonight he gave me the opportunity to choose one.

I apparently have good taste because when I picked a longcase with some lovely marquetry work he opened the pendulum door it had an appraisal certificate on it…

Let’s just say that, if the valuation is right, you could actually buy a reasonable house up where I live with it…
Hopefully it will be a good few years yet before I get to collect.

5 Likes

Hopefully retiring from full time employ the right side of 60, moving to somewhere cheaper and then carrying on working with wood in some form or another. Off to learn to make Windsor chairs soon followed by a course in box making inlay work. Can’t see me stopping working with wood, I enjoy it too much, just need to build up a viable business.

13 Likes

it needs a great deal of thought . BTL . that delightful man Osborne slapped huge stamp duty fees , tenanting fees will soon be abolished leaving the landlord to pick up the tab . oh and all the rent is counted as income despite any mortgage interest paid meaning you often get pushed into being a higher rate tax payer . that said its wonderful to provide a nice home for someone , you get to make loads of friends with neighbours when you do the place up and it can be a delightful experience and you can get capital growth as well

1 Like

that’s fantastic … so glad to hear

Which will be taxed too :grin:

3 Likes

My plan is two and a half years more work then retire at 60. I have a much hated Final Salary pension (it was the reason I changed jobs 16 years ago).
I will however, keep my options open as Severence is offered from time to time and I should get at least 55 weeks money. I can then opt to invest in a business (brewery maybe :smirk:) or wait until 67 when the State Pension kicks in.
I am mortgage free, no dependents, and (by then) few family commitments, so I will just wait and see whether we can afford to live in France or Thailand.

4 Likes

I’m sure most would prefer to own it themselves :blush:

4 Likes

Isn’t philanthropy wonderful?

4 Likes

It must be truly wonderful to imagine that you are only doing it to help the poor and needy.

4 Likes

That warm feeling knowing you’ve just out bid the first time buyers.

7 Likes

At least my ex-wife knows she’s a slum landlady (4 houses, soon to be 5).

Knowing that you’re helping to grease the wheels of capitalism must leave you with such a benevolent warm glow

1 Like