The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

I thought that was pretty amusing since they are more than happy to import fracked fuel products.

Iā€™m usually in favour of silly pointless pursuits, but this is excessively dangerous as well, and very damaging to the environment.

Over itā€™s lifetime, I imagine itā€™s much less damaging than @Jim over his.

4 Likes

ecology-car-driver-speed-alternative-compressed_air-47630501_low

Indeed - half a job as always. Still, itā€™s a step in the right direction.

The REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT DO IT DO IT NOW NOW NOW project that Iā€™ve been working on just got (very predictably) ā€œdeprioritisedā€.

Thankfully Iā€™m old enough to sigh, recognise that it all pays the bills, and move on.

I suspect that newer hands in the field might have had a wee bit of a benny.

1 Like

'tis true. The young devs are always get their knickers in a twist and want to be refactoting/writing ā€œexpresiveā€ (it usually isnā€™t) code / etc. and get bent out of shape about all that time wasted. Me: Whatever. Itā€™s practice. Just give me some intersting problems to solve. Half the stuff Iā€™ve ever written has been checked away. Iā€™m over it.

2 Likes

Chucked

1 Like

Oh god, tell me about it.

I donā€™t know where they get this shit from.

You mean youā€™ve come up with

findWhether(theThing.ofTheOtherThing())
.isUsually(
ofTheForm(ofAConstant.withTheValue(empty()))

garbage that could be replaced with a single machine instruction.

Concrete example

Assuming a Java String s

How do you test for it being null?

s == null

right?

Noooooo.

Optional.ofNullable(s).map(ss -> false).orElseGet(() -> true)

Iā€™ll get back to being a grumpy old man now.

3 Likes

One day I shall fish for them with fly tackle.
On the bucket list!

1 Like

Lolzers! :sob:

Itā€™s got to the point that when a dev mentions ā€œexpressiveā€, my instant urge is to punch then in the face and theyā€™re forever consigned to the idiot weeny column.

Thatā€™s why I now do architecture - I just do a few Visio diagrams and let the devs fight about the stupid shit.

P.S. Kotlin looks really nice.

Fuck me, is that as dull as it sounds?!

I had a few entries accepted for the Profanisourus.

My favourite was RoboCrap: An ominous feeling in the lower intestine, that leaves a gentleman in no doubt he has only 20 seconds to comply.

11 Likes

Definitely something you need to tell the grandkids in your dotage. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Outstanding - we are not worthy.

1 Like

Most of the time, yes, but sometimes the naked jelly wrestling does relieve the tedium.

Canā€™t do any harm :+1:

No, the diet, alcoholism and bleakness do that :joy:

Joe spotify

You know youā€™ve done a good job bringing your kids up when you notice them playing proper music on Spotify. :slight_smile:

7 Likes