The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

but (thankfully) these folk are clipped on, via ferrata style

I don mind heights that much so long as I feel in control. I hate anything that look madly slippery this handrail is not at height but the sea was lively, and the path astonishingly slippery, and the handrail broken in several places.

L1010144 by uh_simon, on Flickr

L1010152 by uh_simon, on Flickr

it leads round the corner to this cave

L1010139 by uh_simon, on Flickr

it terrified meā€¦

2 Likes

We really should have a ā€˜squeaky bum storiesā€™ thread.

Now thatā€™s more like it - nothing could persude me to attempt that.

One of the more unpleasant climbs I have done is up the inside of the Statue of Liberty. Its a clever double helix staircase but because its so tight the railing on the outside feels really low especially going down. You end up walking tight to the inside which explains why its so polished.

The other interesting place to visit is the dome of St Peterā€™s Rome. Not to bad getting up their but looking out from the top the feeling of falling over the edge is very strong as the dome curves away below you.

The lighthouse at Dungeness is a cunt to climb as well

Inside the dome skin of St Pauls.

Staircases? Pah!!

Love to do this.

1 Like

Worst one I did was the access steps from the top of a cliff on Gibraltar down to Gorhams and Vanguard caves - itā€™s about 400m straight down and ~1600 steps - the handrail is gone or too rusted to be safe and the steps badly battered by - and part covered in - fallen rocks. On a heavily neglected MOD site.
Looking back the fact that we just stayed out drinking all night meant I was still drunk when we had to climb down in the morning, and too exhausted working on the dig during all daylight hours to notice the climb back upā€¦ Madness.

In 1990 I was at BSC Llanwern when they were re-opening Blast Furnace no3.
There was a huge cooling chimney which was both high and wide and i needed to get to the top where we had some equipment. The only way up was around the outside, no big deal really there was a heavy steel staircase platform arrangement where you went up a few flights of stairs then it levelled out and you walked round the chimney for a bit then a few more flights of stairs etc. it was big and about 6 foot wide with high sides and handrails and safe as houses.

Coming down was slightly different, the wind was howling (the Severn Bridge was closed and I had to go the long way home) and the flooring of the walkway was an open steel lattice so you could see straight through it. I knew in my head that I was safe but it certainly didnā€™t feel like it, looking straight down to the ground and the wind almost blowing you over was pretty scary.

2 Likes

I bet this guy had a major squeaky bum moment :flushed:

Apparently tigers donā€™t like human excrement being thrown at them, Iā€™d have had a lot to throw in that situation.

How do you know? Only the survivors get to verify that, the rest are up shit creek.

:wink:

Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson told me and theyā€™re so full of shit they were never in danger.

Funny you get used to seeing tigers from the conservation / preservation perspective and forget they are apex predators for a reason :heart_eyes:

I expect they went back the next day and shot it.:tired_face:

Much like forgetting that the rhinoceros weighs tons and has a very sharp horn and a legendarily bad attitude. This:

http://theywillkillyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/maxresdefault-10.jpg

did not end well.

VB

1 Like

True

An interesting take on streaming (and other stuff)

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2018/01/16/578216674/too-much-music-a-failed-experiment-in-dedicated-listening?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180116

1 Like

tl;dr :grin: