The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

Was dragged along each year to watch it in the early 70s,then to watch Fulham afterwards

I confess that I watched it while sobering up between the afternoon pub session and the evening gin treat.

It was so crap I spent 15 min on AOS.

Surely that amounts to child abuse

Boat Race AND Fulham :astonished:

2 Likes

Stupid cunt, taking a 4 year old out for a drive in a cat B write off.

Fucking bellend should have been in the car when they crushed it.

4 Likes

photo celebrity82.gif

2 Likes

How the fuck does any of this look like Bowie.

Perhaps if you’re from Aylesbury it does ?

VB

Other towns clamouring for name changes will be Bromleybowie where he grew up and Brixtonbowie where he was born.

I just had a look at Bowie’s Wiki entry, couldn’t see any reference to Aylesbury :grinning:

I guess that’s what they’re so worked up about.

VB

An old one, I know.

But, if only

2 Likes

Love it - I saw Penetration on that same tour, at Poole Arts Centre - great days, last days of childhood/before everything went to shit.

1 Like

Interesting, but I think their timescale for the disappearance of evidence of us is much too short. Stuff lasts a very long time. We still have cave art which is many tens of thousands of years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting and it’s actually in pretty good condition. Prehistoric stone tools have lasted for millions of years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_tool so why shouldn’t monumental stone art or cut gemstones ? And without people it would be very difficult to explain the completely anomalous concentration of metallic gold which is the US bullion depository at Fort Knox

That said, these genuine (yes, really) prehistoric nuclear reactors were eventually explained.

VB

3 Likes

Went to the penetration one as well,sadly it just kept kicking off

Interesting is that joy division didn’t get mentioned as support on the flyer for the rezillos/undertones gig as they were still pretty much unknown

2 Likes

Love the Oklo article - always wondered why that didn’t happen - turns out it did and I just didn’t read around enough on the subject!

Industrial era humans have produced all sorts of artefacts that will last for billions of years - some will even withstand pretty high grade metamorphism. One hugely abundant if mundane item destined for a long future is the ceramic insulator on spark-plugs: designed to withstand an exceptionally harsh environment of heat, oxidation, corrosion, plasma, you name it, they are capable of being perfectly preserved in lava flows, never mind sedimentary rocks.

All that said, sedimentary rocks can and do preserve the most fragile of biogenic material for tens and even hundreds of millions of years, so things like paper, plastics, fabrics - even human soft tissue lagerstätte are already likely to be forming, most likely in shallow marine areas filled with rapidly-buried debris from natural disasters, e.g. the 2004 and 2011 tsunamis.

100Ma colour-banded fossil feather from Brazil (could be bird or dino), cf. modern woodpecker feather:

This kind of preservation isn’t even especially rare…

2 Likes

We are apparently hosting “The Urban Weird 2018”

try as I might, when I look in the full programme

I cannot find the paper I submitted, entitled “The Deluded Audiophile and the Fire of Foo”

Popped into the village (walked the dogs) to use the cashpoint.

Stuck my card in, entered my PIN - screen goes completely black, card does not reappear.

After a while a white cursor appears.

After a LOT longer - I shit you not - the Windows98 startup screen appears!

After a LOT longer it finally reboots - “THIS MACHINE IS OUT OF SERVICE”

Eventually it did actually spit my card out.

Windows98 - no longer supported by Microsoft - no security updates in years…

Yes folks, that’s the system your bank is using to operate their cashpoint machines…

Fucking genius!

1 Like

That’s Lincolnshire for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m amazed you’ve got cash machines tbh. Thought you’d still be on the barter system. That would explain how you ended up with those stupid woolly pony-giraffes.

9 Likes