The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

My daughter has hidden my book somewhere now can’t remember where.

It appears that she is rather talented at hiding stuff.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/01/how-the-worlds-oldest-computer-worked-reconstructing-the-2200-year-old-antikythera-mechanism.html

Staggeringly complex mechanism, virtually reconstructed.

3 Likes

there is a great BBc doc on this, the discovery that 2 of the gear wheels are connected by a pin in a slot to allow for the moon’s elliptical orbit was fascinating. Wright is thought to have made the gear train too complex, a simpler gear train that does the job proposed by Freeth and Jones.

1 Like

Came up on my Facebook feed…

I know somebody who may dislike that t-shirt :cherries::cherries::apple:

:+1:

I’m surprised no-one’s made the obvious point that this incident could have been trivially dealt with if the girl had had a gun too. Then she could have done the right thing and blown his brains out. The answer is always more guns.

VB

2 Likes
3 Likes

They’ll be holding a Quidditch tournament now the transport is sorted out.

3 Likes

For those of you having alpaca withdrawal symptoms.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nice to see that sensitivity and diplomatic subtlety are alive and well in the Balkans

VB

I’m off to see the masters snooker for the afternoon. Never watched snooker live before; thought my son would like it.

Look out for two fat blokes (@coco is coming as well) and my nine year old in the second row, it’s on BBC 2!

1 Like

Watching live snooker? Only a few steps away from taking up golf…

1 Like

He wouldn’t let it lie.

I thinks that’sa bit golf joke on at least two levels.

Golf is truly sad.

Adam’s the one in pink, for the record.

I recall being a student in Sheffield & going to watch sessions at the Crucible. (early 80’s) A popular pastime was ‘Drinking with Bill Werbeniuk’ but of course we could never keep up as he had people bring his pints in whereas we had to go & queue for ours.

1 Like

Pete’s in the stink

3 Likes