Today I have mainly been

As Ozzy says it’s a budget constraint, the needs of the organisation come first and in fairness rightly so. The downside of 14 weeks annual holiday is that anything else life throws at you has to fit within them.

Yup. Had that with the missus until she retired 2 years back. Lots of hols but often at the wrong time.

1 Like

What is the point of being a Manager if you aren’t empowered (trusted) to use Managerial discretion ?

One of my staff was a Muslim. Shortly after I became his manager he explained to me that he needed to take leave for a funeral. He actually went to quite a few funerals, but he also explained that this is much more a community thing in Islam. They are expected to participate in funerals even of people they might not know very well. Not to show up is considered disgraceful, although people will be understanding if you really can’t make it. He was a genuine guy and he really wasn’t playing games with this. So we made time for him to go.

VB

4 Likes

And that’s the problem. The ‘business need’ often has no consideration for the feelings or wellbeing of the employee. I fully understand the effect that employee absenteeism has on a business but an empathetic and supportive organisation will always win out in the long run.

5 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lego

Spent 6 hrs valeting my daily driver. Our neighbours must think I’m mad, but I f’ing love it, totally relaxing despite being hard work.

Snow foam
Clean wheels
Pressure wash rinse
Hand wash
Pressure wash rinse
Metal fallout remover
Pressure wash rinse
Clay bar
Rinse
Towel dry
Polish on
Polish off
Wax on
Wax off
Detail finishing spray on
Detail finishing spray off

Looks better than new right now.

4 Likes

Pics?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Didn’t think to take any, sat down watching the football now - the moment has passed.

1 Like

you got a car with pubes?

anyway where do you live? fancy coming to valet mine?

1 Like

You can’t afford me.

your pubes?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Speaking of cleaning up…:slightly_smiling_face:

In addition to the Lego received earlier, I have just been given a 1st pressing of New Order’s Ceremony 12" (Green Sleeve) by the Strayan lodger. The cover is tatty but the vinyl is pretty much Ex.

2 Likes

My valeting regime is

1. Drive up the road to Herne Hill
  2. Give a tenner to the Croatian / Latvian / Romanian / Bulgarian dudes
  3. Wait 10 minutes
3 Likes

I wouldn’t use one of those hand carwashes if you paid me. Pretty much guaranteed to scratch your paint. You’re better off going through and automatic car wash as they scratch less.

My regime,
Send the wife out with a cloth and a bottle of Evian when the Lithuanian neighbour is doing his. Two minutes later he’s doing ours, works every time.

1 Like

I have an 06 reg 1.2 Corsa that was owned by an octogenarian for 10 years.

Scratched paint is the least of its problems, and the guys up the road really do make it quite shiny (despite its manifold scratches, scrapes and dings).

1 Like

It’s great having an old car. I got some new scratch on the driver’s door recently. Couldn’t give a shit.

3 Likes

Well if they’re under the bonnet, who gives a shit?