Today I have mainly been

Got “let go” from the pub yesterday. Don’t think I’ve ever been less bothered about a job ending. Loved the cheffing itself, wanted to fucking stab the owner and one of the other members of staff long before yesterday.

Today I am mostly tidying the house, cooking in preparation for guests this evening and thinking about what to do next.

4 Likes

How’s the weight loss going Jon?

Fucking amazing. Down 28Kgs (about 4.5 Stone) in 2 months. Well on target to exceed the 30Kg in 3 months that they normally predict. Already dropped clothing sizes and belts that were at their limit I am now tightening 4-5 holes in.

The medical corset I have to wear a lot of the time is less fun, purely because it’s an extra layer when the weather is generally already warmer than I’d like it here.

13 Likes

Did get a paintbrush out but then the sun came out and daughter wanted taking out for lunch…

Brilliant! Congrats, couldn’t have helped working in a food environment either…

Because I can no longer feel physically hungry, it really wasn’t an issue. Most days I’d just sample food as one should when cooking and that would be all I would eat in a day. It’s quite weird in some ways because it’s such an alien position to be in compared to how I was previously, but I wouldn’t swap back for anything right now.

6 Likes

Trying to check in for tomorrow’s Aer Lingus flights online. And failing. International (OK, Dublin) call to the help desk established that when they said ‘check-in opens 24 hours before the flight’ what they meant was ‘check-in opens 24 hours before one of the flights - the second one, as it happens’ (of course, silly me). Two and a half hours later, second international call to the help desk established that actually online check-in for these flights can’t be done. We’ll just have to do it at the airport (yeah, right, if there are any seats left …).

We’ve lived for centuries with the understanding that when people sell you stuff it has to work, pretty much all the time. The only real exceptions were snake-oil health cures and products to prevent/reverse the ageing process in women’s skin. Then computer software came along and it was surprisingly often the case that this simply didn’t work, at least not reliably. But it was an isolated issue. If you worked with computers then it mattered. Otherwise it didn’t, much. But I fear that as our lives are now becoming more-and-more web-driven the acceptability of stuff just not working is bleeding out from cyberspace and into real life. It’s not so much the fact that stuff doesn’t work that troubles me. It’s the general understanding that it might well fail and the acceptance of this as OK. You mark my words, one day some really important thing somewhere is going to go tits up as a consequence of this attitude and we will regret that we didn’t fight harder for shit being done in a proper grown-up way.

VB

3 Likes

Good rant!

it almost certainly already has…

despite the posh night out last Saturday for her birthday, we are off to St Albans to celebrate the actual day with :beers: and :plate_with_cutlery:

1 Like

maybe , but this plastic central heating has rubber at junction boxes and i am just a bit nervous about it degrading over time and causing leaks .

Junction boxes? Are you sure you are plumbing? :rolling_eyes:

Planing burr elm and cursing at 100 year old shite shots every time I pick out the remnants of lead shot from the wood.

1 Like

Bloody 'ell, that’s a hell of a rate of weight loss, nice one.

amazing bob , what history lies behind that bit of wood

It’s from an old estate tree down near Kettering, planted 1750 or thereabouts. Felled as the virulent form of dutch elm did the rounds in the early seventies.

Pissing off back to the Balearics again for a couple of weeks

1 Like

Finishing this one off

17 Likes

That is a thing of beauty. :heart_eyes:

Just out of interest Matt, how much does a service of a 401 come in at? No cosmetics, just bringing the motor back up to spec? Mine runs fast initially, then settles down after about 20 mins when at temperature, and will then stay rock solid until I turn it off.

Pretending to work from home pending leave until 4th September.

Watching Electric Wizard play live and drinking cider.

That is all.

4 Likes