Today I have mainly been

I love the ice rink tiles

Waiting in for my new sofa to be delivered, well pleased with it, Curtis less so as itā€™s leather. Old sofa is now out the front waiting for the Council to collect it on 30th, I am now more pikey.

Needs more rusty white goods, and a car on bricks.

Currently glad Trump didnā€™t to respond to this SMS message. I suspect supper might have been burnt if he had. :scream:

1 Like

2 Likes

Just put a ā€˜For Saleā€™ sign on it, some fucker will have it away in a couple of hours, you wonā€™t have to wait for collection.

ps I did it with an old freezer, worked a treat.

1 Like

On a genteel Origami ride in Nottingham. Some of the 24 folding bikes on the ride, taken outside the lunchtime pub, which has 2 narrowboats moored in the bar.

and my Downtube:

2 Likes

went to a brilliant exhibition on punjabi craftwork at coventry museum , really worth a visit . listened to the ta,us which you may recall is the name of cd`s speakers but i did not know it was one of these instruments

20180113_145834 by , on Flickr

20180113_145753 by , on Flickr

also popped in to frank harvey hi fi to see their 3 floors of beautiful hifi , what a friendly bunch they are and real treasure trove

I got rid of a massive (working) 32" CRT TV doing just that. Left it at the end of the drive with a sign saying, free take me away. it was picked up within the hour. Saved me driving it to the tip for recycling

1 Like

We do it with loads of things including in the past a wardrobe which a nice young immigrant family took.

Yesterday a old two wheel suitcase which was gone in under a hour.

Taking of which the wheeled suitcase has to be one of lifeā€™s most obvious inventions, just wonder why it took so long to get the two wheel and then four wheel version.

Putting the finishing touches to this

In case youā€™re wondering itā€™s a Leak Varislope 2 Stereo. A lot of the components are in frequency sensitive circuits (tone controls, filters etc) and essentially every single one had drifted out of spec. So Iā€™ve had to replace all of them. Iā€™ve just finished the wafer switch towards the top right (bit fiddly as some of the components are located within the wafer stack).

Itā€™s been a good deal of work and I fear most of its features may never be used in anger. But along with its partnering Stereo20 it was a present to the current owner when he was a teenager from his late father. So I think he was keen to get it fully working again for sentimental reasons as much as anything else.

VB

22 Likes

Going to the seaside with the new Ms ICHM, I am so fickle.

1 Like

Take the old sofa with you and cast it adrift.

Thatā€™s no way to talk about her :rage:

1 Like

Wonā€™t fit in the Merc, itā€™s too big and itā€™s too heavy for one person. I could drag it, but hey.

2 Likes

Againā€¦

:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for all the likes :blush: ! I have to say I was quite pleased with it (and pleased it was done). Pride comes before a fall. Imagine my disappointment when I turned it on and found the right channel worked fine but the left one was silent :cry:.

Surely one of you spotted it ? But you didnā€™t say, did you ? And I thought that was what friends were for ā€¦ :frowning_face:.

Itā€™s taken me a while to find it. See these two resistors over towards the right side.

They are the anode loads for the second EF86s, confusingly the right channel one is on the left and vice versa. The right channel one is red-red-yellow. The left channel one is red-red-gold. Yellow. Gold. A small difference, you might think. No. The yellow banded one has exactly A HUNDRED THOUSAND times the resistance of the gold banded one.

The weird thing is that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever bought any of those gold banded ones. Their resistance is so very low that there is no use for them in valve circuitry (thereā€™s not much use for them even in SS). Iā€™ve had a quick look and I donā€™t appear to have got any others. Hmmm.

Still, itā€™s working now. Thereā€™s a bit of gain imbalance which I need to track down, but Iā€™m almost out of the woods I think (famous last words ā€¦).

VB

14 Likes

Beautiful tidy work Graeme, very-easily-missed mistake notwithstanding!

I once bought an ex-mil batch of 100 Dale resistors from Ebay cos I needed an odd value (something like 870R) and they were cheap, when they arrived, they looked identical at a glance, but proved to have nearly 30 different valuesā€¦ Had intended to sell the rest, but many of them were useful values, so worked out well.

Somewhere I have a couple of 1m resistors - I wanted 1M - quite a significant value difference, and taught me a lesson in attention to detail!

1 Like

I know what you mean about the Dales. even with my reading specs on I struggle with them (what is it with people who mount them with the value on the underside !).

Iā€™m currently trying to track down a henā€™s tooth. I need (qty 2) 180k resistors. They have to be vintage Erie ceramics and not the more common type 8s but the high-stability cracked-carbon type 108s. And Iā€™d like them with essentially full length leads. And with the colour bands not chipped off. Theyā€™ll allow me to fix a pair of TL/50s which currently look like this (i.e. with high-stab Eries almost, but not quite, all the way through)

VB

1 Like

Is this what you are after?https://mullard.org/collections/components-volume-controls-potentiometers/products/vintage-resistor-erie-ceramic-carbon-type-8-0-5-1-2w