Weird Food Combinations that Work...maybe. (We've moved on from Hot Cross Buns)

Unknown Pleasures:

Inside:
With Ice cream

12 Likes

Going to be making a third batch tomorrow to hopefully combine what I’ve learned from the last two recipes. There’s significant pressure on these as they are being taken into the boys’ school, and the French can be extremely snobbish about English cooking

2 Likes

For all the wrong reasons, it’s a misconception.A lot of french eat shite food day to day.

what_you_did_there

And I approve.

I’m still not sure. It would help if I knew what-the-fuck-it-was!

Bread and butter pudding type thing or some kind of franken-tiramisu as that what the bottom looks like…

No, this is far from over matey boy, as it asks more questions than it answers in my eyes.

2 Likes

HCB and butter pud innit. I basically did the below but subbed the panettone for HCB’s and soaked the extra fruit in Morgan’s Spiced rum. Oh, and I dusted the top in ground cinnamon and icing sugar. The custard in this recipe is awesome…

4 Likes

That’s the kind of thing you should do behind closed doors and arguably under the cover of darkness.

I for one, will look at you differently from now on. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

just come from a workshop where tea and coffee at 1100 was accompanied by HCBs.

A walkout was nearly staged when it was discovered that they were untoasted and the butter unsalted.

But the facilitator saved the day when he offered to salt them with the sweat from his unmopped brow

HCB workshop report.

A most welcome visit from Guy and his excellent hand crafted HCBs sparked both surprise and delight today

Much has now been written about correct spicing, fruit and appropriate salted butters. It seems to me, a more holistic approach is required if balance and harmony of the HCB is to be achieved. First let us look at ‘tuning the bun’ All atoms must be moving at their optimum for the taste of God to come forth.

5 minutes of Schumann positively plumped the perky buns - The HCB’s were happy with it too.

The question of Toasting or warming was quite moot as neither facility is available ici. Resorting to improvisation and clear thinking the bearing bleeder (convection cooker) was placed on the floor with great reverence usually only reserved for tea ceremonies or receiving an OBE.

Allowing the buns to be gently blushed by convection it transpires was a superior approach

Reaching into his breast pocked guy produced 1/3 lb of nicely salted butter. Salivation and salvation the HCB promises much

Guy really has done a nice job here, excellent spicing and plump, plump fruit that really was exemplary. The glazing and consistency were spot on, although we both agreed this was probably down to Schumann exposure

13 Likes

And just a soupcon of vapourised bearing grease - a secret as secret as KFC’s “special recipe”… ne c’est pas?

Mmmmmmmmmm…!

…like it gave my Best Bitch crabs… :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Inspired by Master Chef on the tv at the moment

We have on the left, the classic and still the best - buttered HCB anointed with Marmite. But on the right we have the hipster challenger; buttered HCB slathered with French slightly salted cream cheese, dotted with Medjool dates.

Marmite retains the crown just about. The salted cream cheese is brilliant, but the dates make it too sweet and fruity.

1 Like

Animal

5 Likes

So kind, thank you - I feel all warm inside

Mods. Please to move that repugnant aberration of an HCB to the cock punch thread.

2 Likes

You need hot cross bun shoes one buttered and one up your arse…fool

3 Likes

I would eat the fuck out of of that.

As per previous observations: it is Dirty, Bad, and Rong™ - and that is why I like it :black_heart:

Right.

2 Likes

I have two left hands