What albums have you bought lately?

I seem to recall from reading some blurb about the Solid Air half-speed remaster that it stops them using the tools they normally would to reduce levels of things like hiss, due to the frequency changes.

its a terrible habit I canā€™t shake

1 Like

I have the Abbey Rd Solid air and in comparison with a NM 1st pressing it sounds compressed.

Any things that the Mofi does better than the original or do I need to put my hand in my wallet for a first pressing?

2 x Blue LP

Love the sound of this.

LP

LP

Not surprising, Iā€™ve never come across a Mofi or Analogue productions repress that is better than an original pressing. Well made sleeves though.

LA Woman by The Doors by AP is the best Iā€™ve heard and imo better than the original.

To be honest there are so many elements in the 'recording / pressing chain that have a bearing, it really is a crap shoot: The quality / manor of the original recording (How were the micā€™s set out / what mics? tape machine? Lathe? Desk?) The condition of the aged master tapes along with the methods of remastering (digital or analogue) Quality control of the stampers and the quality of the vinyl used to press the record etc etc all have significant effects. (Did the guy making the mother stampers have a hangover? did the studio engineer have 100% focus ? Row with wife / enough sleep. Time constraints from the record company rushing things through? add Infinitum .
The Nimbus super cut of Sgt Pepper remains the finest pressing difference (Audiophile vs 1st pressing) Iā€™ve ever heard, The 45 RPM Anal Prod pressing of Muddy Waters Folk singer is a close second (The Nimbus cut of Joan Armatrading is also outstanding come to think of it) Sadly due to some of the variables above itā€™s not possible to say the label MOFI / Anal Prod etc is a guarantee of the very best sound. The Electrical Recording Co probably does the very best overall job
From covers:

To remastering

ā€¦at Ā£300+ each they are somewhat of a luxury.

1 Like

The AP pressing of LA Woman is a good sounding pressing, it doesnā€™t have the tone or dynamic impact of the first pressing though. Also, the double LP format lessens my listening pleasure. Is it worth the premium price? I donā€™t know, they seem like record foo to me.

Finally released on vinyl

1 Like

Yes theyā€™re different, not much between them, but I would have had the AP version as slightly more dynamic to my ears but I might be being fooled by boosted frequencies at either end.

As expensive as it is, an AP copy is still likely cheaper than a M/ NM first pressing and less hassle to find a copy in that condition too?

Many thanks to someone here, no idea who, that drew it to my attention.

1 Like

The local vinyl shop has a bit of a sale on !

1 Like

Thereā€™s a pretty good chance it wasnā€™t me :thinking:

1 Like

Stating the fucking obvious :laughing:

It was probably @Stepmotheratomicbomb or one of us who bought it after John played it at Lopwell.

It was originally @wayward

Actually no! @LoveSavestheDay put me on to it. :+1:

Brilliant this is turning into an AA whodunit

Iā€™m Spartacusā€¦

3 Likes

Reminds me a bit of the detox twins.

Iā€™m not :smirk: