2022: Albums of the year

Sacred Skin – The Decline Of Pleasure
Favourite album by a country mile is the debut from Sacred Skin. If you’re not a fan of early 80s synthpop and new wave, then this is your worst nightmare: Flock Of Seagulls synthlines, Peter Hook bass lines, touches of Peter Gabriel, and some of the glam of Duran Duran. Lush, romantic, and brilliantly catchy from start to finish; just close your eyes, and you’ll be on a Californian beach watching the sunset and playing air guitar. Guilty pleasure extraordinaire.

Best of the rest:

Pablo Bozzi – Street Reign
Bozzi has released 3 EP’s this year of his italo-influenced techno, and this is my favourite of a really upbeat trio.

Statiqbloom – Threat
Industrial techno. All their previous releases have been straight electro-industrial, but having relocated to Berlin, they’ve taken their pulsating claustrophobic sound into the field of techno.

Forever Grey – Sympathy Garden
Minimal post-punk, with coffin vocals; stoic and depressing.

The Soft Moon – Exister
Abrasive post-punk verging towards industrial in places.

Dodsmaskin – Herremoral Slavemoral
Norwegian death industrial, bits of dark ambient experimental and noise; atmospheric and bludgeoning.

Buzz Kull – Fascination
EBM, new beat, minimal synth.

Of the mainstream stuff, the choice would be Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cool It Down; the most consistent album they’ve done so far, with a bit more of a mature sound. Suede Autofiction was decent as well, they’ve still got it.

Playlist:
Tracks 1-4: quite poppy, dark-tinged/melancholic
Tracks 5-8: post-punk
Tracks 9-14: techno, goth/industrial dancefloor, EBM
Tracks 15-18: noise, experimental, industrial metal

10 Likes

Rank bad year for music I’m bothered about.
Off the top of my head it has been
Arctic Monkeys The Car

Followed by some other stuff I may have bought but was just alright (dry cleaning, err…). Some other stuff I don’t mind but wouldn’t pay for (wet leg, Fontaines DC)

Spent far more time on back catalogues and old stuff. Just nothing to report.
Dullness.

There’s plenty out there, more music than ever to listen to. Maybe a lot of noise, just need means to filter it: Bandcamp, blogs, etc.

MusicBee tells me that I’ve added 243 albums to the library this year :scream_cat:

Why, the gibbering fuck, it has picked the front cover of Guns N’ Roses Chinese Democracy as the banner, I have absolutely no idea.

However it also tells me that I only own 27 albums that were released in 2022

and the banner for that is Sunn O)))'s Metta Benevolence which was actually released in 2021 :man_facepalming:

Of those 27, I’d actually rate

Ghosted by Oren Ambarchi, Johan Berthling and Andreas Werliin

Smoke Point by Smoke Point.

and Districts, Roads, Open Space by Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan.

A bit of a lean year really.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed shedloads this year and found so much music I was unaware of. I think I’ll struggle to get it down to just 10.

Very much enjoying this, thanks - a guilty pleasure indeed.

Top 11:

Sharon Van Etten - We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention
Bill Callahan - REALITY
Daniel Rossen - You Belong There
Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
Broken Bells - Into The Blue
Alt-J - The Dream
Damien Jurado - Reggae Film Star
Cat Power - Covers
Kevin Morby - This Is A Photograph
Andrew Bird - Inside Problems

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these, I have been streaming tracks from the artists you listed in 1-8 :+1:

Balls. I missed this. Thank you.