2022 Formula One

He was my hero too. One of my great memories was watching Jim winning the Indy 500 in a Lotus at The Leicester Square Odeon in the 60’s.

3 Likes

New drinking game, watch wheeler dealers and every time Elvis mentions that he used to work in F1 take a shot.

5 Likes

:crazy_face:

A friend of mine does talks about how F1 uses data to make decisions more effectively as part of a strategic approach to leading companies.

Elvis does something similar (more generally about being part of a team but he does talk about strategy) so I thought that I would watch him do a couple of speeches (a few people have suggested I do some speeches of this type…). He spoke very well with no errs etc disrupting the flow, but when it came to race strategy, he was way out of his depth.

He earns a lot of money through this so his audiences must like him!

3 Likes

F1 pit stops are often used as examples on Six Sigma courses.
But as the basic concepts were developed in the motor industry (Toyota) this isn’t suprising.
I am sure that data driven continuous improvement ideals are very much part of F1

Mattia Binotto gone

Fucks sake

1 Like

Ferrari scapegoating 101

1 Like

'sake…

‘Kinell ! To be replaced by Vasseur :face_with_monocle:

Nail>head by Jonathan Noble

4 Likes

Charles and Carlos won’t be happy

Exactly.

He had seemingly met all the targets he was given and turned Ferrari round.

There were 2 things that he should have done to avoid this.

Firstly employ a Technical Director instead of trying to do that job and the Team Principals at the same time.

And secondly he needed to try and fix the Ferrari race strategy group which has been one of the worst on the grid for the past 6 years when the new (and still in charge) head of strategy decided that the tools (mathematical models and data viewing that had been used successfully before then at Ferrari) were too complicated and that he would replace them with an Excel spreadsheet.

Many years ago I estimated that you needed to make the race car 0.5 secs a lap faster than your competitors if you want a chance of becoming champions when you have a weak strategy and race operations team…

8 Likes

Agree with all that, except - as any Alonso voyeur will tell you - it’s been more than 6 years

“Petrov is faster than you?”

To be precise, from 2012 to the end of 2015 Ferrari had very good race strategy tools and very good application. I checked the data from those years (grid to final finishing position across each season) as I needed to demonstrate to a TD at another team that race strategy helps you deliver more points than your car + driver should be able to deliver, whereas poor strategy will lose you a lot of points or championships (Ferrari in 2010, Ferrari in 2022 are stand out examples)

5 Likes

The 2023 season of F1 will feature more exciting visual events for spectators.

F1 drift - YouTube

The fuck?

Will be interesting to see if he’s headed for a new job - VW / Sauber? - or got the boot

1 Like

Didn’t see that coming, off to Ferrari? :grinning:

1 Like

Caught me by surprise too. Thought Williams had done quite a lot with rather little this year. They’ve certainly bought the best out in Alex Albon for example.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/chrismedlandf1/status/1602574360786632705?s=46&t=qZA-b9VieSqkz9oImTe0xQ

I can think of at least one person who won’t think this is a great move for Ferrari (leaving aside they should never have dumped Binotto)

Seidl leaving McLaren for Audi (Sauber) too, so there doesn’t seem to be a link to the Williams exits there

Big big loss for McLaren, you’d think

typo?

3 Likes