3D printing horns

A legend in your own mind :rofl: Are you aware of the prior art in this area by Messrs Archimedes and Archytas?

2 Likes

For the hard of thinking, there are separate words “create” and “invent”, the former being used entirely correctly above. :wink:

3 Likes

You could also have chosen the less pompous sounding “made” to describe your efforts, oh great “creator” :grinning:

3 Likes

Grandiose is my thing, according to some stupid personality checker somecunt posted a while back

3 Likes
3 Likes

Current state: optimistic

2 Likes

What is the material?

It’s PLA

It’s a good material, renewable and biodegradable, nice and light.

Unfortunately the thing came unstuck from the base during the print, so it’s fucked again :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It lives!

Unfortunately the hi-fi doesn’t work at the moment, I’ll see if I can fix that before the second one is printed!

24 Likes

The last three words of this are completely redundant.

5 Likes

Nice! How smooth is the inner surface?

It’s not bad, the imperfections are a fraction of a millimetre. Given the wavelengths are measured in the cm, I’m relaxed about this.

1 Like

Nice!

@coco and I have also sorted out the workflow in Fusion 360. I was using Blender, which is great for meshes but less good for solids. Fusion doesn’t really like meshes, but that’s what the spreadsheet produces.

So the process now is spreadsheet to Meshlab, some extra conversions there, then into Fusion where it’s converted into splines, which is the best way to describe the surface. And Fusion is the best way to convert the surface into a solid.

I’ll document this in more detail once I’m happy with it. It should be possible to simplify it, I would hope, as it’s rather cumbersome…

3 Likes

Adding yet another piece of software into the mix…

That is a mesh generator that works much better with meshes made of quadrilaterals, rather than triangles.

This is needed because the quad meshes generated in Meshlab are very irregular, and when Fusion tries to turn these into splines (which are basically equations for curves), the splines are numerous, tiny and complicated. The InstantMeshes software resamples the mesh, producing much more regular quads. Thus the import into Fusion is much easier.

Unfortunately InstantMeshes doesn’t work with point clouds, so the workflow is now Excel > Meshlab > InstantMeshes > Fusion. But each step is now short and quick.

Except Fusion, which is new to me so I’m still slow at getting what I need…

Github…Come the next melt down this name needs stealing.

Tell us more about the screw thread :grinning:

I think it was under-extracted. :grin:

2 Likes

They’re now playing in a working system. No idea if they’re any better than the last lot, it’s so long since it worked :rofl: I’ll play some music I know better in a bit, but this new album is rather good.

Have these replaced the metal ones?