3D printing horns

Yeah. The metal ones were 800Hz tractrix. I never liked them for reasons I can’t quite describe. I could always hear them, which I couldn’t with the previous ones and can’t with these.

I now have plans for the 2441s as well, which will entail lots of glue!

3 Likes

Yes, that’s all very well, but what about the screw thread?

dicey_dungeons_inventor

The 2441 design doesn’t need a screw thread :sunglasses:

Pete’s right, screw everything

1 Like

Nor does the other one!

Now done a funny shape one…

2 Likes

Great.

Now I want tacos.

4 Likes

Deliberately?

2 Likes

Nice! You’re on a roll now. Next stop

1 Like

Sand 3D printing ftw (Simon’s photo not mine)

1 Like

Those are stunning. Not cheap, I expect.

Graphite sintering would be nice

From what @simonms told me, it’s not bad at all.

I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but looks haven’t exactly been a prime driver in my hi-fi downstairs… :grin:

The sand does look nice, but I’m rather enjoying designing and making them myself for now.

1 Like

Very rewarding Do It Yourself👍

Today I’ve been doing maths and spreadsheets, what fun!

Going from a point cloud to a mesh then another mesh and then curves seems bloody stupid. The mesh steps make no sense. And they are really difficult to implement, they keep fucking up.

So I’ve been trying splines. These are just equations for curves. Fusion can import a spline as a sketch object, so I’ve imported the throat, the mouth and a number of lines along the exact profile of the horn.

Then you can use the loft function to connect throat and mouth, along the path of the horn profiles. And it works…

The eagle eyed among you will spot that there are some striations along the path just up from the throat. You smart arses can fuck off, but I might try to fix that soon.

3 Likes

@penance loves this thread more than he knows how

2 Likes

Id like a special audition.

I’ll do one in red for you