401 - shouldn't this be easy?

Excuse me, but this is a bloody help me fix it / for sale thread or something similar, perhaps, not a social. FFS !

4 Likes

Mike, there are rubber washers under the motor board, where the bolts go into the board. If the deck has been really tightened down to the plinth for a fair amount of time they can turn to glue. Some people actually put adhesive strips around the edges of the board to get a solid fix to the plinth.

You might try putting something thin but wide, like a wallpaper stripping knife, under the edge of the motor board and trying to lever it up.

Thanks Rob :+1:, for a helpful suggestion.

Are the four mounting bolts well clear in each of the holes drilled for them. Its easily possible for the holes to be poorly drilled with the drill drifting, particularly if cut using a hand drill. When the garrard is then placed onto the plinth, two or three of the bolts become tight against the walls of the holes, made worse as they pulled in by the nuts…oooooer…

If the suggestion to run a thin blade round the outside doesn’t work, then tip the whole thing upside down and sequentially tap out, a firm tap to each bolt in turn. Obvs support the plinth and not the Garrard but a cloth to catch the Garrard should it some free etc…

1 Like

Perhaps just ask Tim, he’s a helpful chap you know.

Cheers Bob, makes perfect sense.

Having a quick look, a couple of the bolts could be fairly tight against the holes. I’ll give it a try.

Failing that, wanna buy a top 401 ? :slightly_smiling_face:

I did, originally Rob. No reply as yet though, although it’s only been a few hours and it’s quite possible he’s been living a real life, heaven forbid :slightly_smiling_face:

Prolly this

Yep, having a proper look this morning.

Finally managed to get the TT out of the plinth; that took one hell of a lot of doing.

Motor unit now all packed up and ready to go to the docs :upside_down_face:

3 Likes