4k projector scoping

Jealous of my B&M Bargains projector then?

:rofl:

1 Like

Goes nicely with the B&M car :+1:

3 Likes

Exactly the same here. I’m well happy with 1080p at the moment. Can’t remember what size my screen is, but any bigger and it would overwhelm the room, and I’m never thinking shit I need higher resolution. The price of admission to 4k removes it completely from consideration for me anyway, not to mention my bluray collection becoming redundant. You can get a very good 1080p projector for very reasonable money.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think it might be best from what I’ve read so far to dip my toe in with a machine similar to @edd9000 's and see how we get on with it and look for something else later if we’re getting a lot of use from it and the improvement is worthwhile (which at the moment it doesn’t sound as if it is yet).

On the basis of getting a pull down 120" diagonal screen, I’ll be looking for something that can fill that from about 2m to 2.3m away.

Just came across this out of budget but interesting nonethless

2 Likes

It’s pretty good in fairness.

1 Like

Sadly UST’s won’t work in my room. This is definitely a case of it needing to work within the room as it is rather than re-arranging the room.

It’s definitely short throw I’m after.

1 Like

This looked interesting/ too good to be true… and it sounds great right until you get to the low contrast performance.

Would sit on my lounge table and throw a 100 inch image quite nicely, and is LED and upscales to 4k, but I suspect that the inability to reproduce deep blacks might be a deal breaker.

Its a 1080p chip that does the shift thing, its not really 4k.

Not sure I really understand what the differences are between the offerings that aren’t native 4k.

What I have learned is that there isn’t a lot of choice in the short throw category for decent projectors with a ratio of about 0.7 - 1.0.

There is this as an alternative to the Viewsonic -

I can’t have a longer throw as that’s where the sofa is, and if you put it on the ladderax behind then the projection will be likely obscured by my large lampshade (not negotiable!).

UST’s would mean moving my arm chair and having to find a small table/ stand to ferry in and out when we want to watch. Or place the UST behind the projector screen and have it project on the back (if such a thing is possible).

Thats the one in the review at the top of the thread…

1 Like

Unless you are spending £5k on a native 4k then just ignore it. Worry about throw/colour accuracy/contrast and input lag if you are gaming.

BenQ TH671ST | DLP 1080p HD Short Throw Gaming Projector | Richer Sounds

Seems decent.

Alas if its not massive and ceiling mounted I know nothing about them.

just blow the budget, you know you want to :grin:

with free 100" screen and installation atm

Won’t fit around my room as its a UST. I’d love to blow the budget but at the minute there’s few options for the kind of table mounted, portable short throw that would work.

Something with lens shift might project past the lamp shade if put to one side.

So here’s a picture from a shelf position at the back of the room on the Ladderax which could potentially fit a projector on. It’s about 4.5m to the front of the bay.

The intention would be to fix a pull down screen in front of the bay. As you can see the shade is potentially in the way, but being able to project from there could massively open up the choice of unit.

Get a cine projector and go full on late 60s

3 Likes

Did you consider where a telly/projector might fir before you bought the house?

Did you use the same sort of method as Jim when he bought his house?

2 Likes

Guessing there is a sofa where you took the picture?