5.1 Amp channel down

One for the electrical experts:

My Denon home theatre AV receiver has lost the back right channel.
It’s not the speaker (works fine when swapped) and I haven’t moved the amp in ages which seems to preclude any force on the connections.

Denon have helped me factory reset and hard wipe but it’s still dead. Two years old so they won’t fix it.

Any obvious thing to check if I lift the lid? All other channels work fine. As does the sub.

Any chance each channel has its own fuse?

No, it doesn’t. Each channel might have a sacrificial part of the output (they were SAP15s in Cambridge Audio amps so an equivalent of that) but even if it’s as simple as that, it’ll be a faff to repair.

Is the Denon giving any form of error message?

It’s a Denon AVR X3500H
No errors. Their tech guy had no clue and just ran through a factory roll back.

Just wire the back left speaker to the back right as well. You’ll never notice.

1 Like

The factory roll back has culled the Audessey set up.
I can’t finish it until the back right makes a sound, which is impossible, so I can’t use Audessey now.

It’s a manual set up. Ideally I need the channel working!

You probably already know this, but Under UK Consumer Law goods have an expected lifetime usually way beyond the guarantee period (more so if expensive or premium/top of the range). Contact your retailer and mention this. Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not Denon! You most likely won’t get a full refund, but you may get a repair or exchange.

Good luck. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

It was from a superfi liquidation auction.
So it’s home diy or off to an expert…

I’m happy to look under the bonnet, but would be helpful to get some guidance on the usual suspects (faults)…

Thanks though.

Relay on speaker output?

1 Like

I tried this line with a Samsung TV that partly died just outside of its not very long warranty. They basically told me to fuck off.

Legally a warranty is over and above the sale of goods act.
You can’t absolve yourself from the sale of goods act by specifying some arbitrary date of cover.
The manufacturer will always resist any claim outside warranty, but it’s going to cost you to take a chance to fight that and raise a civil action…

Most people roll over.

Yeah, if memory serves it’s anything up to 6 years under the SoGA, but if you want to disagree with a retailer over expected lifespan, you basically have to take them to court and a magistrate will decide what a reasonable lifespan is.

And the cost of taking them to court is far too high to bother with.