AAAC - 04/06/2019 - Grails - Chalice Hymnal

Grails are described by Wikipedia as American instrumental experimental rock, whatever the fuck that is.

Released in 2017, their latest album is a slice of cinematic “post-rock” (I hate that term). It is not unlike Mogwai in places, and there’s arguably a bit of Godspeed You! Black Emperor in there too. It’s a mish-mash of styles, but I think it works, mostly.

If anyone can post up links to other streaming type wotsits, that would be grand.

2 Likes

Good choice!

Noise shaped air - Meh!

I just can’t understand why people enjoy this type of randomish instrumental stuff but it seems very commonmplace on here.:thinking:

1 Like

I’m not sure what to make of this LP. On the one hand I had no real problem listening to it repeatedly, but on the other hand I found it strangely unsatisfying. The music is well-written and nicely recorded but lacks the changes in dynamic that make Slint, Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky so interesting. It also lacks the ability to lock onto a drone and really hammer it home a la Godspeed! You Black Emperor. In the end it just ploughs a safe furrow and does little for me. I suppose this may be because it was considerably outshone by Earth’s 'Full Upon Her Burning Lips" which arrived here while I was listening to the Grails LP. The Earth LP, which could be described as country-tinged American instrumental experimental rock does neither the loud/quiet thing nor the drone thing but adds that little something that this misses.

3/5 but I can’t see myself buying it.

1 Like

Agreed. It is easy-listening compared to the bands you mention and it does lack an edge at times.

I went for the safest of my AAAC options this time…

1 Like

S’alright I s’pose. A bit bland. A bit Meh!
But mostly dull. A sonic wash. Nowt to get excited about.
I don’t hate it but it ain’t rockin’ no-one’s world.

I feel a trembling unease that suggests that either we are in agreement or that I shouldn’t wander too far from the porcelain this morning.

Very, very unsettling either way…:unamused:

2 Likes

Grails albums to go for are the Black Tar Prophecies. Those are certainly not bland :+1:

Mr Puncle wouldn’t sleep after hearing them :joy:

Not really my thing.
1.75/5

Agree totally.

Really nondescript, pretty dreadful. I can’t even make it through this one. I can only assume that Aliens commandeered the mind of @waxy in order to choose this.

2/10 here.

:fu::alien::fu:

Pleasant enough but completely forgettable. 2/5

1 Like