Actually interesting speakers

Ooh, that could be interesting to play with, thanks!

Cogent bass plus 18” subs. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Tempted to paint the horns with this:

2 Likes

Then cover it in cork, a full potato pin board of dreams.

1 Like

:tired_face:

Cork is actually a great material, but just looks horrific.

The_Fast_show_Black

4 Likes

Be inspired

Did have a go at that, it was as dead as a door nail but weird material to finish and not so durable.First pic is cork over 1" thick timber and second was an experiment with vacuum impregnation which was interesting. Third pic shows the former.

DSCN3625|508x500

6 Likes

Lots of ways to bend timber, this was experimentation with 1" solid walnut, issues begin when you start to try and twist it.

11 Likes

Thank you Simon, I’m now having a moment …

Cheers Matt, the walnut was a really interesting experiment, it’s treated (compressed) and becomes bendable and twistable so not the traditional steam bending methods.

Following from the hey day of the Scandinavian furniture production,1950’s, these machines were designed and built to do this but now there are very few left, if you find one they are big and hellish expensive. After compression the timber is fixing around a form and within 24 hrs resets itself, there is of course science involved here which I am probably not competent enough to explain but it does involve moisture within the timber before bending and certain methods of drying it to remove that moisture so that it holds its new form.

I will add to this as we go if anyone is interested and off course Pete doesn’t mind me crapping wood all over his thread.

These pictures show a top and bottom curve of a snail horn around the formwork.

12 Likes

You’re kidding, right? :grin:

4 Likes

like this?

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/06/27/extreme-wood-bending#:~:text=The%20machine%20used%20to%20create,it%20flexible%20in%20any%20direction.

1 Like

Makes Pete’s efforts with croc clips look a bit lightweight :grin:.

VB

3 Likes

Yes, exactly like that.

Looks like the machines are back in production.

3 Likes

Interesting, I recall talking to Chris Morz (the guy who ZiggyMarley linked to) and whom I worked with on these experiments and he was very proud that he was unique in owning one of these machines, this was a few years back now though but I suspect these being back in production didn’t fill him with joy.

2 Likes

This is interesting!
I’ve obviously lots to catch up on!

Where’s the bloody popcorn eating emoji?
Let’s try…

5 Likes

About 6 years ago I tried a 4 way system,
JBL2482s playing up to about 3.5KHz and the Raal Lazy ribbons on top.
I think I tried 3K, 3.5, 4 and settled on 3.5.
It was pretty good!
Perhaps the 2482s are not the ideal choice with those frequencies.
It was close on rock and more jangly stuff, I remember.
Some music it was very, very close.
However overall I missed the tones and clarity of the Vitavox S2’s, that certain S2’ness just strikes a chord with me.
This is across all music genres.

I run the 2482s 350 to 1200Hz, the S2’s 1200 to rolloff and the Lazy Ribs 11K up.