Adventures in Chili (fungus free zone)

Ground-breaking chef maximises publicity in order to make a living. DISCUSTIN.

1 Like

Anyway, this is an interesting pivot from ā€œmost good chefs could do the sameā€, but utterly fucking irrelevant I have to say.

1 Like

To be fair, have you read the Mugaritz book?

My point was ā€˜14 years agoā€™ His shtick is old hat.

Apologies I missed the 2005 bit. I often struggle with numbers in text.

I donā€™t think that people actually cook the stuff in the books do they? Itā€™s merely aspiration and impressing those that see your collection. A bit like watches really, but much cheaper.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve been posting some very sensible observations recently. :+1: New meds? :grinning:

Christ, if you think that then I certainly need stronger ones!

2 Likes

Interesting, what made you think of using black cumin?

I like the wild Mexican oregano in my chilli :+1:

I tried Persian dried limes powdered in mine and it worked really well. Dark beer, tequila and cointreu.

Love a bit of chilli faff.

I have a bunch of different Mexican dried chillies to use up, might have to do a batch soon.

1 Like

Me too!

The last one I made I used brisket, pork shoulder and Mexican chorizo. I quite like the low down power that a mixture of trad chillies produce and I also put in a Carolina Reaper. Chipotle is important. I also quite like the citrus zing of a couple of fresh scotch bonnets floated on the top. A dessert spoonful of marmite is a good thing I think coz umami reasons. I have a bag of MSG and a smidge of that will be going in the next one. Itā€™s annoying that my kids havenā€™t got to the stage where they can enjoy hot flavours yet, other wise Iā€™d make more.

1 Like

Heā€™s done quite a bit since then. If you look at Dinner at the Mandarin Oriental, itā€™s largely driven by research into very old recipes (think 1600s, not 1920s). Also, compared to Harold McGee (whom he learned a lot from) and Nathan Myhrvold, heā€™s really not pushed the obsessive stuff that far in terms of research. I think people who want to get angry at someone attempting to push some food boundaries towards something better are a very strange breed indeed.

His recent comments about female chefs however are absolute dumpster-fire trash, and I really loathe him for making them.

It rather depends on the direction of their ā€˜pushā€™.
See: gels / foams and CO2 globules for the wrong direction.

1 Like

No, thatā€™s a matter of preference. Iā€™m mostly just trying to distinguish from wrong direction such as shittier animal welfare in order to boost production, or get more water into bread.

I think half the problem is that people view it next to everyday eating, and I donā€™t think itā€™s ever intended to be that. Itā€™s an adventure for the senses, rather than a matter of basic nourishment or practical achievability.

1 Like

you are wrong, pushing in the direction new flavours, textures and surprises is innovative.

Imagine an onion sphere exploding to release a Marmite foam

All that aside, he is a hoofing great bell.

6 Likes

Err what? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yes, just imagine that. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Or if youā€™re Heston Stupidface - :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

1 Like

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d2000067-r458703821-Dinner_by_Heston_Blumenthal-London_England.html

Mushrooms? I see no mention of mushrooms in this thread.