Adventures in Chili (fungus free zone)

Heston’s scientific faff bothers me on the food front. The idea of processing, reprocessing and then firing it out of a snow cannon or whatever the ‘theatrical ego trip du jour’ is, must fuck with the available nutrition / vitamins / natural enzymes etc.
It all strikes me as a perversion, unnatural, like a shaven minge or thin people.

Stronzetto has acted on behalf of the people

– Ten for effort, wrong Heston but fuck it.

5 Likes

It’s also known as “cooking”

My gripe is that at some point he faffed his way out of the kitchen and into the Lab. During this process he turned cookery into something beyond the pail and himself into a ponce.

3 Likes

Pale

3 Likes

That too.

ahem

That chilli recipie is less science more ingredient research. Most good chefs could produce a similarly outlandish recipe given such a ridiculous budget and prep time. Personally I think Heston’s in search of perfection recipes are a bit silly, the whole point of the majority of the dishes he chooses are that they are simple, made with staple ingredients and comforting to eat.

1 Like

ah yes but you are completely missing the point of those dishes from Heston. He is trying to raise the simple dish to fine dining. The juxtaposition, of peasant food presented as fine dining is both interesting and illuminating.

I used to find Heston services ideal for peasant food in the 70s/80s

6 Likes

I think it’s good that Heston* exists. I don’t necessarily by into the bullshit, some of that is just performance art. But at least he makes it interesting.

*Not Heston services, obvs.

3 Likes

buy

1 Like

Allegedly.

2 Likes

I’m not missing the point, I completely understand what he is doing and that most good chefs could do the same. What I question is the point of it. I like Heston I think he can be a true magician but these recipes are just willy waving.

2 Likes

No.

2 Likes

The Fat Duck was voted the worlds finest restaurant in 2005 - 14 years ago.

1 Like

You tried many 3day £140 chilli recipes then?

He doesn’t sell his chilli at the Fat Duck though. These are cook at home recipes. It’s a book sales thing.

Wait, he creates nigh-on impossible recipes that nobody can afford in order to sell more books? What a business model.

He’s living rent free in your head, mate.

1 Like

No, you don’t understand the recipe book market.:+1: