Aeroplanes I fancy but can't afford

Me too

9 Likes

I like how they’re described as “airworthy” (with quotes). :grimacing:

2 Likes

Indeed :grinning:

Sadly, they could be fresh off the production line and you couldn’t get an airworthiness cert - complex avionics blah blah.

Daresay they face the same issues as the Vulcan boys did - all the engineers who really knew these planes are too old or dead, and I daresay BAE want nothing to do with it.

Wouldn’t help that there used to be 4 of 'em in Thunder City until one fell on an airshow… :frowning:

God, reality sucks…

All I need to know is how long the runway needs to be, we have our own airstrip and my best friends on the island own it.

Bugger the RAF, I reckon we could outrun them in one of these :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

That mk1 :heart_eyes:

That’s the spirit!

For about 30 seconds :rofl:
Best invest in LOTS of fuel storage to go with them

That said, the arse-slide-then-up-like-a-rocket take-off still beats pretty much everything else

This, for a piffling £100k, could be fun, if my numbers come in…

6 Likes

Don’t think there’s anything still flying in the west that could get near them in a straight line sprint, they could even outpace F-104s in all but one category, at low levels iirc. It’s all about manoeuvrability now.

Do Want.

3 Likes

Not fast, but who needs a runway? Fetlar to Lopwell direct
https://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/pbycatalina-oa-10a

1 Like

My dad was a fan & used to fly them (and Sea Vixen) in his Royal Auxiliary Airforce stint in about 1950.
Here leaning insouciantly on one at RAF Honiley

leaning against vamp sml

This was in the time before ejector seats where the drill, if anything went wrong, was to turn it upside down, push the canopy off & fall out.

19 Likes

Were Ryanair involved?

3 Likes

They obviously followed the original minimalist H&S guide the RAF had developed.

1 Like

You have to pay extra for that service.

5 Likes

From Duxford last summer:

8 Likes

Next time I’m up there & if it’s open, I’ll have to pay this place a visit.

http://www.midlandairmuseum.co.uk/index.php

2 Likes

I need to get there as well, it is about 20 mins down the road from us.

Looks good from above

4 Likes

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

5 Likes