Aldi Wagyu steak

Anyone tried them? They had Sirloin and Ribeye.

Kind of interested in trying it, but the thought of £25 for a quite small steak, and then possibly fucking it up is a bit scary.

1 Like

Not tried them. Despite what it says on the cover does it say it is produced in Japan? The US produces lots of this and is cheaper, this is Aldi and they are very good at misleading with food labeling.

1 Like

Didn’t really look too closely.

Their website is very slightly weaselly about origins, only says pure bred Japanese wagyu cattle, but not where said cattle are raised/slaughtered.

That’ll be not Japanese then. Technically the breed is japanese, but can be raised anywhere. Some of the farming practices used are vile. Similar to veal, but for 30 months.

2 Likes

Looks like a pic on the packaging, can you see the actual meat?

1 Like

You’d have to rip open the box to see the actual steak, another thing that put me off.

1 Like

They did have ones in at 7 quid, but not with the Japanese packaging.

1 Like

I got a “Specially Selected” Wagyu joint at Christmas, but it didn’t claim to be Japanese. Not sure what grade it was, or if it was even stated, but it didn’t have anything like the marbling shown on the steaks. Was about £30 iirc, and was really nice.

Their website says “100% born and raised Japanese Wagyu”

Also found this

“The Land of the Samurais A5 Japanese Wagyu is the very best wagyu you can eat because it hasn’t been crossbred and has been born and raised in Japan who are the pioneers of Wagyu. This makes it not just the highest quality eating experience possible when it comes to Wagyu but also the most authentic for those interested in experiencing the planet’s most delicious steak."

A5 grade Wagyu at that price is a stone cold bargain.

That’s UK farmed Wagyu, they supply Aldi, Morrisons and M&S etc.

1 Like

Wtf? How did I miss that? :rofl: Probably so used to snidely weasel descriptions I just assumed it was dodgy.

Cheers Chris, might try and sneak one into the big shop next time. Still scared of messing it up, even though I can churn out Medium Rare time and time again normally.

I find Wagyu easier or just as easy to cook as standard beef.

If you want to go full beef faff get some Kobe :crazy_face:

1 Like

Do. Not. Buy. Strayan. Wagyu.

Loads of it on the market. Sold as A-Grade (not A5) Wagyu. It’s x-bred with Angus and is cheaper, less marbled, and poorer quality.

It’s fine if you don’t want the proper stuff, but it ain’t Wagyu.

1 Like

Not just Oz stuff, pretty much all non Japanese wagyu is cross bred.

1 Like

Not For me, the farming methods are rank. Some western and Japanese farmers are trying to use natural methods rather than force feed high protein diets in barns, hope they succeed

I looked at the site, properly this time, they say:

ETHICALLY RAISED

IN JAPAN RAISING WAGYU IS A SACRED PRACTICE AND THE KEY TO RAISING THE BEST WAGYU IS ENSURING THE COWS ARE HAPPY. THIS IS WHY WAGYU FROM THE LAND OF THE SAMURAI HAS CONSTANT ACCESS TO PASTURE AND FOREST GRAZING AND ARE FED ON A DIET OF BEER MEAL. WHEN THE SNOWS COME THE COWS HAVE ACCESS TO HEATED BARNS TO ENSURE MAXIMUM COMFORT.

delete the quote box shite, just highlight the text and click the quote button

1 Like

Yup, and how long are they grazed compared to kept in the barn? They fail to mention the imported barley, maize, protein powder and anything else they can use to pile on the pounds.

The 4 breeds do produce marbled beef, but grazed naturally on grass, yield would be halved and the marbling will be far less. That’s the traditional method, as opposed to the modern methods that are solely aimed at making more money.

That’s before we get on to force feeding beer to increase appetites.

Farmers can be cunts, regardless of country. They dont appear to have an independent welfare assessor, such as the RSPCA or Soil Association.

Some are trying to use traditional methods, that won’t be what Aldi or the majority of suppliers in the UK provide.

Ok, I’ve asked the question, let’s see if they respond:

Hi,
I saw your Wagyu steaks in Aldi and as a big fan of beef I’m interested in trying them out as a special treat.

I have read the section on your website about the cattle being ethically raised, but I have heard some really disturbing stories about how some farmers in Japan treat their cows. I understand the yield from grass fed cattle is much less than from those that are grain fed and that some farmers resort to force feeding their stock to increase yields and to enhance the marbling in the end product.

Could you please clarify how you ensure the welfare of the animals that you obtain your meat from? Do you use an independent welfare assessor (e.g a Japanese equivalent of RSPCA, Soil Association or Red Tractor scheme) ?

I’m not an activist, but I do care about the provenance and welfare of the animals my meat is sourced from.

I’d be very happy to buy your steaks if you could provide some assurance about the above concerns.

Thanks

Rob

4 Likes

Saying I’m a big fan of beef is definitely open to misinterpretation…

3 Likes

Aldi to sell York’s Land of the Samurai | York Press

2 Likes