All your science in here

I thought the W engine design/idea came from the Phaeton where they essentially stuck two V8’s together to make a double V and gave it the W moniker. Not sure if it ever had anything to do with the old W engine design.

http://www.onezoom.org/life.html/

5 Likes

Unbelievable detail when you zoom in :+1:

Amazing!

Neat ! To be honest, if I’d had to guess I’d have guessed that animals were closer to plants than to fungi. But it seems not. I suppose we have more fungi living about our persons than we do plants …

VB

Very cool. I shall challenge son to find humans within two minutes!

2 Likes

How KR make valves (exec summary: it’s largely by hand which presumably explains the cost)

There are a few errors/oversimplifications in the voiceover, but hey-ho.

VB

3 Likes

Apparently this was on Tomorrow’s World !

VB

1 Like

I saw that on watch forum a while back. Even if he was reading from an autocue, he did an an amazing job of getting the idea across.

1 Like

Probably a stupid question…but…

I’ll be buggered if I’m buying another new van and I have a soft spot for my Transit, however, they are prone to a touch of rust.

Can I stop it rusting by making some kind of sacrificial anode? Lump o’ zinc nailed to it or somesuch?

Oh and down with the comments of the zinc will be worth more than van comments before they come hoofing in.

Waxoyl it to death (or whatever the modern equivalent is).

Too easy … NEXT!

Pic

I want to know where this soft spot is.

Maw, Yer

1 Like

If only they had put the zinc on the steel before the paint.

3 Likes

Hammerite?

1 Like
4 Likes

Berlingo.

1 Like

Sadly not. You need a return path for the Galvanic current from the point of the corrosion back to the sacrificial anode. If you were immersed in seawater the seawater would provide this. But with airborne moisture or a small volume of water trapped in the chassis there’s no return path. I should say I’m not an expert, but I know enough about the basics to believe what the cleverer-than-me say Cathodic protection for cars.

VB