An impossible circuit?

Wiring in rear wiring lights with the reverse gear. This bit is easy. Needs to be either on, off or switched by reverse gear switch. Solved with a SPDT on/off/on switch.

I fit that switch in the dash. But i want to control from the rear door as well when Landy stationary. Easy way is to fit an on/off switch on the live to the work lights. However this means remembering to switch front switch to on before getting out of Landy and switching rear switch to on before driving off.

For front

On, leaves permanently on to use as work light.
Off, setting for driving on road.
Reverse, uses gearbox switch to enable worklights to come on when reversing in a feild or camp site.

For Rear

On/off, to switch worklights on/off as required without having to use front dash switch.

How to wire the two together so that either works, think of a two way switch arrangement. I can’t figure this one out, is it impossible with analogue switching. I did find this, it was for a Nissan Patrol, not sure if this would work, but uses relays around the switches.

https://www.patrol4x4.com/threads/rear-work-light-reversing-lights.244761/

are you having a stroke?

4 Likes

Ha, spellchecker and port :rofl:

Can you wire like a 2 switch light for a house, with 3 wire cable?

As cocktails go that sounds grim-but-effective :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes you can, but for on/off only. This has three outputs, (on/off/on) at one end and two (on/off) at the other. On/off/on at the front must defeat on/off at the rear and on/off at the rear must defeat on/off at the front.

Good old fashioned landing light setup, put the gearbox switch in series right before the lamp.

I’ll see if i can make that work. I have to keep the rear work lights seperate from the actual car reversing light. I’ll shift the hangover first :slight_smile:

1 Like

you could use a relay off the reversing light power circuit to activate the rear light

Why can’t you just leave it in reverse with engine off? My reverse light works fine when the engine isn’t spinning.

Or just send a separate 12v feed to the bulb from batter with a switch.

Looking for control from front and rear without having to walk between the two all the time.

For front

On, leaves permanently on to use as work light.
Off, setting for driving on road.
Reverse, uses gearbox switch to enable worklights to come on when reversing in a feild or camp site.

For Rear

On/off, to switch worklights on/off as required without having to use front dash switch.

AA is slow today…Where’s the strobe circuit suggestion that turns Bobs fun bus into a startling mobile epilepsy guarantee?

1 Like

Amazed that a Raspberry Pi hasn’t been suggested.
Then I realised we haven’t seen Adam posting lately, maybe he is still getting plastered

1 Like

yes, so just run another switched 12v feed fused, to the reverse lights. If reverse isn’t engaged, there will be no harm in turning on a second power supply to the light from there.

The switch can simply be a choice between the original feed from the reverse light switch, or your new 12v feed from the battery.

Problem solved

And you’re back to my first post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

and off to A&E we go

Abc Dancing GIF by Sesame Street

1 Like

All the best stories have an element of peril, it is no great stretch to artificially add some to Bob’s planned excursions I’m fairly certain the Bedouin’s will appreciate the affect.

That gif could really fuck some people up
TV programs carry warnings before they show fast flashing lights
Maybe that is the A&E that is meant