Android Camera Issue

I used to be able to post images directly to this site from my Android mobile browser or Opera browser by clicking an icon that allowed me to choose between selecting a file, open the camera or open the video camera. I would choose the camera option, take a pic which could then be uploaded to the site.

Now that same icon only lets me select a file. I get this message: “this app can only access the photos you select”. My phone’s browsers have all the correct the permissions to allow access to the camera. Much googling has failed to offer a solution suggesting that an Android update is the cause.

I could take the photo first and then select it from the media picker gallery but honestly I can’t be arsed as the photos are then dumped automatically into both Google Photos and Dropbox. They then need to be manually deleted or they clog up my storage. Previously, when using the browser to launch the camera the photos were not stored on my device or in these apps which was ideal.

Has anybody encountered this problem and found a solution?

There is an update to Discourse available - I can try installing that and see if it helps / completely destroys the forum…

1 Like

Thanks Jon. Please let me know when you’ve done the update and I’ll let you know if it has helped.

On the Samsung browser I get these options, which may mean that it is not site related.

I don’t get an error message but I’m also unable to upload pics from my mobile. When I click on the icon, nothing happens.

I always edit the size of any photo anyway, reduces the forum storage costs and doesn’t make any difference to how it looks.
Also hot link album images as then no storage costs to the forum at all.

1 Like