Any of you handy with woodwork? Need a bit of help

I want to build a table to sit alongside my gas grill

I already have a fibercement surface (140 x 90) which needs mounting on a wooden frame. It weighs about 30kg

Ideally I’d like it to look a little like this

The shelves don’t need to be so ‘intricate’ and could just be made of a hardwood decking

Does anyone have the knowhow to help a chump like me bring the project to life?

(The model shown in the photo is made of teak and costs 1.5k, so I’m not inclined to buy it)

Is the gas grill an outdoor one ? If so, will the table live outdoors ? If so, then sooner or later it will get rained on and you don’t really want a solid timber shelf becoming a pond.

The time-consuming bit is doing the jointing. With a top and two shelves you’ll have 24 joints to sort out (one at each end of the horizontal pieces, if you like).

1 Like

I would be heavily reliant on the Domino for doing that, but if you have one it’s basically a load of mortise and tenon joints that you need.

1 Like

A local chippy could knock up something like that for around £400 including the teak.

1 Like

not wood, but when do ever get what you ask for on here

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/easyfix-and-more/easyfix

1 Like

Yup, it’s an outdoor Gas grill, and as it’s Denmark it’s fair to say it is gonna get a bit wet!

I fancy the challenge of doing it myself over the summer

And I’d prefer it not to cost 400 sheets

It doesn’t HAVE to be teak, just something that stand the test of time and isn’t some ugly pressure treated wood

If you used wooden dowels for the cross pieces, the “jointer” just needs to be a drill :+1:

3 Likes

go rustic

1 Like

Pretty much what Jim said, but I’d use a pocket jig and screw it all together. You’ve essentially got two three rail ends joined by 6 longer rails. Make the whole lot from 50mm square timber. Order it online planed and square and cut to length. Buy a pocket jig, mark it out and away you go. Make the shelves out of decking as you say.

As for wood, Oak or Ash will do the job, use a strained preservative after, job done. Two hours work tops.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

For you maybe!

3 Likes

Yeah, the measuring alone would take me that long.

2 Likes

So the rest of us understand.

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s not as if I said make shallow, full width rebates at each joint.

Thanks for all the replies

Hit the rose early yesterday so I’ll Google all these options you’ve mentioned and make a plan

Cheerz

I’ve read this several times now and have come to the conclusion that I’m thick

Could you perhaps explain the rail thing to me as though I’m, say, a golden retriever?

Fetch and I will give you a biscuit

1 Like
1 Like

You have two legs at each end. On the width they are joined by three short rails, those are just the lengths of wood that join legs on a frame. I suggest you make those two ends first. Cut the legs to the same length then cramp them together and measure and Mark for the bottom and middle rail, you can then mark across all four legs at the same time.

1 Like