Any reasons to not buy a G1042

Need a new cartridge, all I have is a mono one currently. For now I’m happy to not spend a lot because I’d rather concentrate on playing about with speakers. £250 for a new G1042 seems sensible enough. thoughts?

Bought one

2 Likes

Its an MM which is baaaad, MC supposedly better as it does the high end without the use of resonance.

The AT VM95ML or SH are worth a look if going for an MM and are cheaper.

1 Like

Lol.

1042 is a good MM cart
Can’t go wrong with it really

3 Likes

If you like fulsome, virtuous cartridges then they are fine. I like tarts, I would have bought a Decca,

2 Likes

Strangely excited by the prospect.

1 Like

Tis’ a low rider.

What sort of Decca?

For £250 ???

1 Like

They will sell you the Super Gold for £500, I think they’re like Audio Note where you get get something for your budget whatever it is.

1 Like

Useful to know.

I suppose it’s an itch I’ll have to scratch at some point.

I think that if I had an Io Gold with appropriate SU then I might not need to scratch it. If I had a 3-figure budget then it would seem obvious.

I don’t imagine for a moment it will rival my Io Gold, just something a bit different.

Deccas are great. I don’t believe that JW will sell a super gold for £500 though. He might let golds go at that price but not the super.

Probably would have bought one for 500 quid. Plsy well with a Hadcock wouldnt it?

You might be right, it was a 2009 thread, but that was the price then.

3 Likes

They have gone up quite a lot. I think even the maroon is listed nearly £500. Nice fun carts though.

Maroon was over 700 quid when I investigated last week.