Von Schweikert’s

they look familiar :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why? Maintenance issue?

I quite like piano gloss black.

2 Likes

My shiny black Revel F208s don’t have any polishing marks as

a) I don’t polish them
b) they still have the plastic wrap on*

• yeah, I will get around to the decorating soon and take the wrap off. Probably…
2 Likes

Mint pair of Neat MF9 on PFM for under £4K.

1 Like

They look an excellent buy.

Pretty much. If I lived alone then yep no probs, but with the number of cats and dogs we have then nah, not worth the hassle.

2 Likes

Damn; remember Neats from various shows and would love to hear those, might give them a go. Not piano black either :wink:

1 Like

Bet they’re fab but fugly

Pair of MF5 in same finish for less than half the price.

1 Like

Not that convinced about putting a TT on a (presumably) quite warm Electrocompaniet power amp.

They are excellent loudspeakers, friend of mine had some.

1 Like

I think they look better proportioned than the MF9.

Assuming the new drivers have been installed professionally they look a good price.

3 Likes

I’ve had both the MF7 and the MF9. The 7 is better proportioned for most rooms, although the 9 does add some extra low end.

These will be quite old now, although new drivers does make a difference, they could be about 20 years old. Pricing is difficult as the 7 and even more so the 9 are rare and not easy to get hold of. But 4k is too much imo. I sold both of mine for about the 2.5k mark a few years ago. The 7 was in a premium finish, velvet cloud, which was beautiful.

yes my thinking too - the Mf5 looks better priced and proportioned but that is also quite an old speaker and not ‘full range’ I guess. The 9 looks too tall really for WAF especially as I don’t have particularly high ceilings. I’ll keep looking

Always liked Revels and had a pair of M105 standmounts once but found they needed to be played at higher levels than I would listen to to really sing. @unclepuncle 's Gems were great.

What amplification are you using these days and are you still in the same house I delivered the Zingalis to? I seem to remember that you needed to position them in the corners quite close to the rear walls? That would affect some of your choices.

1 Like

Lionel / Testure / Testy back in the days of the Real 'Wam was an aficionado - lovely bloke, but the Revels were absolute fucking ear-shredders (and I like Triangle). Of course, that may be a good thing if presbyacusis has robbed you of much sensitivity in the upper-mid thru treble frequencies, which it usually does…

Neat - nice with the right kit, which is mainly old-skule Naim, Exposure, Sonneteer… and rather few others.

Yes Nick same house but different room - don’t need to have them close to walls or in corners - I haven’t got any amplification right now as running actives (Geithain) but looking at building system around the NAD 33 for simplicity purposes (a novel concept in HI FI I know) - the alternative is to go for actives with built in dacs and ‘streaming’ hubs like the Buchardt 700’s or Dutch and Dutch…

1 Like

I have no idea how they do in terms of being placed close to boundaries, but Avalons would be on my shortlist for this outlay. Nick will be advise on room size etc I am sure.

And Paul’s Gems were certainly not ear shredders, maybe the top models were better in this regard, but I haven’t heard of Revel’s having a bright balance. Only heard a few models though.